R.A.F aerial photography over Leeds in 1951.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tomq

Post by tomq »

I'll add my thanks. Well done. Some fascinating stuff.
Tom

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I'll add some more photos and text over time.I have about half the links to the full size photos finished. I'll have the rest done by today Many many thanks, great work.Burmantofts pottery great but the Pottery Field housing in all it's glory was fantastic.Wonder if all the relatives were in that day!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

geoffb wrote: Is that a paddy train near to crossing by the Bridgefield from Waterloo pit, wow!!! Eagle eye Geoff.Indeed it is. You can even see the man from the little hut with his red flag waving it across the road.I've been able to zoom into that photo better. I've added the blown up photo of the Paddy train on the front page now. What I'll do is pick out things like that of interest out, and add them to the photos as I go along. Part of the 'red road' featured on S.L before can be seen on that photo too.Wasn't there something about the house next to it? The Council knocked it down and kicked the tenant out or something like that?     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

kango

Post by kango »

Mucho Thanks for this Digger!Especially the south Leeds pics for Me, nice to see My old schools Cockburn and Dewsbury Rd county primary junior mixed infants ( to give it its full title !) in all their soot blackened glory!Well done Sir.kango.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Any Brackenwood Gledhow stuff?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Any Brackenwood Gledhow stuff? Hi Rick.You know I keep getting asked if I have any Middleton, Belle Isle, Seacroft and now Brackenwood.When you think about it, when these photos were taken in 1951 most of those places didn't yet exist I'm afraid Gledhow and Roundhay isn't well covered. The nearest photos to those areas are the Roundhay Road, Gipton Wood, and Oakwood Lane photos. I think the R.A.F were concentrating more on the industrial ability of the Cities and towns. The City Center itself hasn't been flown directly over. I've added a few more close up photos of areas of interest. And all the links to the full size photo should now work. Let me know if you come across a dud or broken link please.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Hunslet Sue

Post by Hunslet Sue »

These are brilliant - I could make out Hunslet library, Hunslet lane/Hunslet road all my old haunts when I was growing up. Thank you.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I could see Hunslet Moor plus Cockburn High School wow most of the moor has now gone. The fountain is there.The road from the fountain leads to The Blooming Rose Pub.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Hunslet Sue

Post by Hunslet Sue »

My dad used to take me to Hunslet Moor - I remember there were two slides a little one and a huge one (to me anyway!) a longboat and a spider's web roundabout thing. I also remember there was an old man's shelter (I thought only old men were allowed in)

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Well Phill - I'm sure everyone joins me in thanking for the gift of these wonderful pictures.As an old gimmer who greatly regrets the passing of what I call "THE Leeds" I appreciate the chance to examine these in great detail 'ere long. Already I've spotted one or two transport gems in miniature which I'll look further into. One is the inexplicable appearance of a Ledgard double decker rounding the bottom of Eastgate - there is no reason why it should be there, but the livery is quite clear and no other operator with those colours ran just there - well I don't think so. Then there is the Chamberlain or Horsfield tram descending Woodhouse Lane below the University - ah no, you young 'uns, NOT going to Beeston but via Boar Lane and Briggate to Moortown, Roundhay etc !!Those were the days.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.