R.A.F aerial photography over Leeds in 1951.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Hokay cnosi! I'll look up my 1935 Jolly Jack's Bumper Fun book!Hope It's not gone out in the fortnightlybin collections! Missus!!!?SWMBO keeps chucking it out if I don't watch!Cheers Arry

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: Hokay cnosi! I'll look up my 1935 Jolly Jack's Bumper Fun book!Hope It's not gone out in the fortnightlybin collections! Missus!!!?SWMBO keeps chucking it out if I don't watch!Cheers Arry SWMBO,is that that Scottish singer???
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Nay Lad! That's SUEBO!!!lol?(Was SUB Zero S'morning! Brrrrr!)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Not being sure where to post this item but this thread seems to be appropriate. On page 13 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (April 26 2014) a photo dated April 25 1949 is used as its 'Memory Lane' feature. The photo shows part of a cooling tower at Kirkstall Power Station along with quite a number of its chimneys. A steam train is passing by and there are several of the old style train signals. Kirkstall Power Station seems to be seen in photos 13 and 14 of the 'Flight Line Three' of this superb thread so I thought the YEP item may be of interest as the 1949 year is close to the 1951 of the thread. Unfortunately, if there is an online link to the photo I cannot find it and I'm unsure of copyright so I have not scanned the photo.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Is there one of the Grand Arcade & Rothwells Parade before the inner ring road cut through?

scrabblerz

Post by scrabblerz »

I have just finished reading "Operation Crossbow" from Leeds City Library which follows the history of Aerial Photography from the 1930's and through the war , while the RAF were looking for Hitlers unseen weapons etc . There were millions of photos taken , after the war they had a problem what to do with them all , were they any good to anybody , very similar to this collection of photographs . Fortunately sanity prevailed and the photos were saved to a certain extent and digitised on to computer www.ncap if I remember rightly . The book is an excellent read and with all the events being commemorated today rather appropriate along with "Operation Fortitude " another excellent read .

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: Nay Lad! That's SUEBO!!!lol?(Was SUB Zero S'morning! Brrrrr!) Great to hear from you 'Arry, missed you! You're correct about my error,Canal St. it was!All this getting coke from the gasworks must have been after me Dad left the pit at Middleton where he worked. Before that we had loads of free coal as he was allowed a ton every quarter after the mines were nationalised in '48! He came out because of his health.He tried to go back after 2 years but his breathing was very bad and had he to leave again. He died at 59 yrs in '66 of emphysema!
ex-Armley lad

Bramstall

Re: R.A.F aerial photography over Leeds in 1951.

Post by Bramstall »

Hi all, I wonder if anyone here is able to help me out at all. I’m looking for an aerial view of Old Farnley pre-1957 for an elderly lady. I think that this RAF flyover is probably the only aerial view available of the right age, but I just can’t work out which one of these is the right area. Would anybody know or be able to guess for me if Old Farnley is actually on one of these photos? I’d be incredibly grateful for any help!

Many thanks :)

jma

Post by jma »

Hi Bramstall

In the absence of anything from anybody who knows, I'll say first - welcome - then, as a fairly recent newcomer to Secret Leeds this is the first time I've looked at those pictures and I cannot help with them.

Have you seen this on Leodis? It's only a smallish area and probably not much use for anybody wanting the whole district

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/76186

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

The first 8 posts in this thread by Phil_dvsn all contain the same link which allows you to view Flight Line 1 of the Leeds photos + some of Bradford.
Does anyone know how the photos in the other 8 or 9 flight lines over Leeds can be viewed online today?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!