The Civic Hall Clocks - Turtles?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

I've come up with a bit of a conundrum about the two clocks on the side of the Civic Hall. Last September on Heritage day I did the tour of the building which was pretty enthralling, then afterwards the guide mentioned the clocks on each side. I have never noticed this in all my life in Leeds, walking past so often, but in each of the four corners of the clock face in gold are four turtles! All face inwards I think and are on all sides, all four corners.Totally stumped by this. No-one seems to know, not even in any books about construction, design or anything. Can anyone step up and solve this intriging mystery???

farbank

Post by farbank »

I was given the reason that the tortoises [turtles to the yanks], were just a 'play' on the tortoise and the hare fable. That time is just time. And there's no hurry. You'll get there in the end. etc..

munki

Post by munki »

Yeah, that's what I often think when I am walking to work with the council. haha.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

munki wrote: Yeah, that's what I often think when I am walking to work with the council. haha. Hmmm, sounds very plausable, just can't help but thinking that there may be more to it. Who knows... maybe someone out there!

volvojack

Re: The Civic Hall Clocks - Turtles?

Post by volvojack »

Approximately one million people filled the City streets which had been transformed into avenues filled with flowers to greet the King and queen as they made a state visit to Leeds to open the Civic Hall in 1933. it seems that the Queen got a piece of grit under her eye lid which she did not let this interfere with the ceremony though she was in considerable pain. A surgeon was summoned from the Leeds Infirmary and after a 45 minute delay the Royal Party left for Harewood House. and the Queen
had completely recovered by the following day.

volvojack

Re: The Civic Hall Clocks - Turtles?

Post by volvojack »

There were a few stories concerning the Tortoises (Turtles ) on the Civic Hall (Potts) clocks but it seems they were added sometime later named by the craftsmen after an apprentice who was a slow worker and also had no neck, hence the nickname. Sounds doubtful but true.

The ceremonial key that was used by the King and Queen to officially open the Hall in 1933 went missing
and then reappeared in New Zealand in 1993 and was sent back to the U.K.