Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
munki

Post by munki »

Anyone know what this is???
Attachments
Peculiar funnel device in Merrion cinema
Peculiar funnel device in Merrion cinema
IMG_0020.jpg (35.9 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

rikj

Post by rikj »

I'm not sure what it is, but I can tell you where it is!

munki

Post by munki »

Go on, then...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

rikj

Post by rikj »

In the projection room of the Merrion Odeon?I don't really like to think of what it was used for....

munki

Post by munki »

It seems to be very close to some water pipes. I am wondering if it was something to do with preventing the film from overheating, or dealing with burning film if it does catch fire..?Is there anyone out there who ever worked as a projectionist, who might remember what they were for?

rikj

Post by rikj »

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

the picture shows a tundish which is an anti syphon device for drainage systems, something will have been connected to this and drained water.

munki

Post by munki »

Did old film projectors have some kind of water cooling system to stop them overheating?Tundish is a new word for me. I like it.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Was it the experimental Ladies Urinal which caused the health and safety people to close it down ?

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

Yeah, I reckon it's a she-pee x