Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Hi all,I think Ingram Road is still on the same sight but is a completely new building. I went to Hunslet Moor Primary which is now gone (the old building) and has been replaced by a new College annexe.Hunslet Moor as it is now is a new building on the site of the old Cockburn High School.I also went to Matthew Murray (1984-87) and that has now been flattened. Old Bewerley St school is also there on Hunslet Hall Rd in the shape of offices, and new Bewerley is on the site of the old Arthur Greenwood school.The old City of Leeds school is council offices on Woodhouse lane, Middleton School is council offices, John Blenkinsop I think has gone too. Unless they rebuilt on that.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Long gone now, the old castleton school, circled. There now stands some ghastly modern work units!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Another school, Green Lane! Long gone. Now an oldfolks home
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

simonm wrote: Another school, Green Lane! Long gone. Now an oldfolks home Is that the Old West Leeds High School? on Whingate. I thought they had turned that into trendy student flats.It's opposite a place called 'Charlie Cake Park' would love to know where that came from.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Ian R P wrote: Is that the Old West Leeds High School? on Whingate. I thought they had turned that into trendy student flats.It's opposite a place called 'Charlie Cake Park' would love to know where that came from. Not dissimilar, Ian - but deffo not WLBH! This is what it used to look like:Can't find any info about the origin of Charley Cake Park, but we used to tease the tramps in there after school! :-OHere's an old photo of it, taken from the school - reet posh eh? :-)
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

SimonM - I know you were just an first former oik when I were in my final year - but look who I found on the WLBHS site:Tony Norcliffe! Music teacher and probs the only teacher I actually liked! Also found J.S.B. and this pic makes me shudder. Sez summat that he retired, the year I left! :-))
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

magic

Post by magic »

Any body remember the school on Beckett Street, now stands the new St James Oncology unit. When i attended there in the mid 80's it was Lincoln Green Primary.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

ScandyladRe that pianna concert at W'Leeds Girls'H.S.I seem to remember ENJOYING it! I was sat next to a very TastyTeacher! Shame abt u being stood up,tho! Shoulda brung yerfootball and shinpads!Whilst on the Defunct Schools thread, Did anyone attend dear oldBrudenell School in the '40's? Three stories,Lovely redbrickbuilding, Boys on top,Girls underneath and infants on the bottom!Sounds about right!!! Everyone wanted to be a prefect or a milkmonitor. The things we got upto on the communal stairs!Last time I was up there,the old building had gone and the site was occupied by a nursery school in Prefab buildings!I was there 1941 t0 '43. after 'Graduating' from Burley RoadCP AKAWestfield CP and AKA Rosebank CP!(WHY do the want to change EVERYTHING? GRR!) It's still there is good old Burla' Rooad skooil! From the bus it looks heavilly camouflagedwith hideous colours all over the outer walls and schoolyard!No wonder today's kids go in for graffiti and name 'tags',if thats the example set by today's teachers! Load a Wallies, a lot of them!(Not All!)CheersArry Awk!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi SimonmI'd nearly forgotten Castleton School. I went there for a shortspell after returning from Collingham when Dad became an 'established' postie, and we took up residence in Bushire St ,down Armley Rd.as you know. I was only there a couple of months,but I do remember coming home from school in June 1936and seeing the German Airship 'Hindenburg' cruising from North to south over Holbeck! We were on the Armley Rd bridge (dogleg)and had a very clear view of the dirigible. They say it was on it's way to New York(It met it's terrible end there in 1937). It must have been taking photos of the Leeds industrial areas,they reckon. cos it wouldn't go South to the USA.!Arry Awk

simonm

Post by simonm »

Ian RP, no, the picture was Green Lane school. It was at the bottom of Tong Road, mile or so from West Leeds Boys High. It's long gone now. Demolished and redeveloped into an old folks home. Funnily enough, I posted a piccie of Castleton old school. The new one is now on land just behind the Green Lane old school!