Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Footy

Post by Footy »

Thanks for the corrections Jancee & Arry awk.Looks like I got a 'See me' and a 'Must try harder'Brings back memories.Cheers. ;-)

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

As usual Drapesy,a brilliant piccy of t'owd Shepherd! (hadn't seen that side of t' Vets building. Is it on that short section of Back lanewhich continues across Stanningley Rd?) <Lookboth ways b4 u cross!>.Scandylad,If that's what the Danes get up to, tha'd best re-immigrate back to Leeds! By the way,the Black Watch Regt. Assoc.might put in a bit of EU trading with Denmark,Och Aye Baaaa!CheersArry

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Beeston Lad!Might be of interest altho' a bit before your time(!).In 1944/5,I was a maintenance apprentice at Marston ExcelsiorRadiators (ICI),(Armley Rd. We had to attend Nightschool at Cockburn HS off Dewsbury Rd.2 nights a week,for Maths and English, Learning how to saythings like 'Hand me the hammer please' properly,and not ;'Sling'us that chuffin' Braying stick,dog's breath!'Happy days. Our teacher was a Mr.Brewin who also taughtthe day pupils.Jolly nice 'No Nonsense' chap.I remember the school sweet shop,Never open in the evenings!It was called 'The Cockburn Tuck Shop'. We called it the 'TuckburnCock Shop!' After classes,we would jump on the tram into town and 'invade'the Central Rd 'Waxworks' to play the penny machines!Graduated to Leeds Coll of Technology and took ElectricalInstallation course. (Failed,so joined the RAF!)Arry Awk

willo

Post by willo »

Anyone got any info or pictures of 'old' All Saints School which used to be near York Road in Leeds 9? I attended this school for 2 years before it was demolished and we were transferred to the new All Saints School just up the Road. There are no photos on leodis and its as if it has been forgotten and no one knows anything about it. Great old School as I remember.
DGWilliams

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I knew Braimwood had closed, but didn't know they'd sent the bulldozers in. That was a fantastic school, ideally placed to provide education away from the hustle and bustle, although the cross country runs around Roundhay Park damn near killed me... "Esteem thy precious time" was the school motto.Still, they'll no doubt sell the site for a fortune for yet more "executive mock tudor" boxes.Foxwood High closed (fair enough, it was dump) and became an adult learning centre, yet they built a brand spanking new PFI school on the playing fields which couldn't be used when it rained as they turned into a marsh. I hope they sorted the drainage out first.Don't forget the shamefully abandoned Seacroft Grange on the village green which was a school for many years too.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

rikj

Post by rikj »

Here is Seacroft Grange pretty much as it is today. Difficult to comprehend how it could be left to get into such a state.I saw somewhere that it was famous for some sort of unusual wooden staircase. Hope that's been taken out.
Attachments
__TFMF_ru2ff145v4vppcfgv4s2ng3l_cf1b5bc7-8e96-417a-81cf-e9ddde1d6f85_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ru2ff145v4vppcfgv4s2ng3l_cf1b5bc7-8e96-417a-81cf-e9ddde1d6f85_0_main.jpg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 3809 times

rikj

Post by rikj »

Another one. This has now been developed into flats I think.Cliff House, was also known as Newcliffe House when it was a school. My other half taught there when it was a "special" school teaching EBD kids. Teaching is a bit of a misnomer.
Attachments
__TFMF_ru2ff145v4vppcfgv4s2ng3l_06aa9b85-bb80-4498-b02b-3b5640ed90c0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ru2ff145v4vppcfgv4s2ng3l_06aa9b85-bb80-4498-b02b-3b5640ed90c0_0_main.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 3809 times

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

rikj wrote: Here is Seacroft Grange pretty much as it is today. Difficult to comprehend how it could be left to get into such a state.I saw somewhere that it was famous for some sort of unusual wooden staircase. Hope that's been taken out. It is scandalous. It was reported when Tesco's got planning permission to redevelop Seacroft Centre that a new use would be found for The Grange as part of that. I can only assume their lawyers were sharper than the council lawyers as it's just been left to deteriorate.It is a listed building, so the cynic in me wonders if it will be left to get to the stage where it can be declared unsafe / beyond help and then pulled down. Or mysteriously catch fire and burn down as troublesome buildings have been known to do...Anyway, I've heard Askett Hill Primary School in Seacroft is no more, although I've not been down that way for a year or two - certainly a lot of property around it had been demolished a couple of years ago. Sadly no photo's are to be found.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The staircase rikj refers to in Seacroft Grange was built by John Moore in the 1600's and was then part of Austhorpe Hall before being moved to Dr Pogson's home, the Grange some years later. I understand that it has been removed by the Council and is 'in store' hopefully this won't be lost as so many stored artefacts have been.You're right ravey it is scandolous the state this marvellous old listed building is in now. The original planning consent for the new Seacroft Centre was said to require the developer Asda St James, to suitably refurbish the building incorporating it into the overall redevelopment of the Centre and returning it to beneficial use. The possibility of a hotel was muted.My family ancestory has its roots in old Seacroft and the area still holds strong memories for me. We have been pursuing the Council for several years now on the subject of The Grange, having watched it being systematically robbed of its valuable assets and fall into the state it now is.It seems that the original contract for the redevelopment 'was not as precise as it might have been' we are told.... This short-sightedness demonstrably translates into the Council being unable to compel a possibly unwilling developer to act. Non the less as the freeholder and owner surely the Council has a moral if not legal obligation to preserve a part of the City's heritagethought important enough to be Listed. We gather from the local Councilor that the matter is again to be discussed - I'll be happy to post any reports here for those interested.So many buildings in this position have been seen to be left unkempt and fall into a state of decay such that the only recourse is then to demolish them - let's hope our Council can be persuaded not to let this building suffer such an end.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Anyone from Crossgates Infants school - now just black marks on the tarmac viewed from Google Earth!First teacher Mrs Clifford, Mrs Eastwood Mrs Madden and finally Mrs McGuire in 'the huts'! Bad behaviour resulted in being sent to stand 'under the clock' in the corridor to wait the attentions of the Head Mistress, Miss Turnbull (she wasn't that bad really!).Aaah, seems so long ago.....