Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Kaiya

Post by Kaiya »

magic wrote: JanCee, Do you know if there is any pics on Leodis of the school "Beckett Street County Primary" If anyone finds any pictures of the school I'd love to see them.My Gran and Grandad used to be caretakers of the school and we lived at the house that was in the same grounds of the school. The few pics I did have are lost over the many years of my family now moving around.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

Attachments
__TFMF_ggxigkvea5sootbqg2rj1tek_b707a720-69ef-4c14-a3ae-1d6609d9ad99_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ggxigkvea5sootbqg2rj1tek_b707a720-69ef-4c14-a3ae-1d6609d9ad99_0_main.jpg (68.25 KiB) Viewed 3566 times

Kaiya

Post by Kaiya »

Thats just amazing to see after all these years. It brought a tear to my eye thinking of all the past fond memories. Where did youfind the image and are there any more? Thanks for posting that up, it's just brilliant

Kaiya

Post by Kaiya »

I remember Grandad telling me that the boiler room at the left of the school used to be the canteen for the school, I vaguely recall going in there a couple of times as a very young girl. I have so many memories of the place and the time we lived in the house. When the school was originally due to be closed I remember the family meeting we had were we all told that Gramps would no longer be caretaker, eventually they moved over to Hazelwood Court.Sadly Grandad passed away shortly before the school was demolished. But nan is now living somewhere in Beeston.Being away from Leeds for the past 17 years, living in America and Norfolk, but I still miss it heaps somedays, but I doubt it's how I'd remember it nowadays

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Drove past Braim Wood School last weekend on my way to Roundhay park and it has gone!Razed to the ground, the only things left are the playground and the retaining wall behind it (including the "Big Mamma").What a shocking waste. Almost the whole ground floor had hardwood parquet flooring - I wonder where that has gone, for example..?It can only be a matter of time before the builders move in and start with the "executive homes adjacent to the park" at quarter of a million and upwards...the site must be worth a fortune but I wonder where all that money will go?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

simonm

Post by simonm »

Another school to bite the dust is old Thornhill middle, off oldfield lane. Housing estate now!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

stevief

Post by stevief »

My infant school was Our Lady of Lourdes next to the church on Cardigan Rd. There have been houses on the site for years.My secondary school was St. Benedicts on Leeds&Bradford Rd.When I started there in '66 it can't have been more that 4 or 5 years old30 years later it was levelled.More houses.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi SteviefI posted a line or two in a previous threadregarding St Caminics! It was in reply toFooty's query.Arry Awk

Pashy

Post by Pashy »

Does anyone know if there's centenary bash in October for West Leeds HS? I was there from 61-64. I'll be over if there is.non sibi etc

stevief

Post by stevief »

Footy wrote: Anyone out there who went to St Benedicts RC...? Could hardly be classed as an 'old' school. I'll bet there are not many people who see their school built and then demolished in their life span.It was on the Leeds Bradford road opposite a pub called the British Oak. The site is now a housing estate, the pub is still there.R.I.P. Mr McCann the best teacher there. (in my days)Also the 'Good Shepherd' Bramley Town End building still there but no longer a school.And lastly, from me don't want to hogg on my 1st post..!Alan Bennets old school at Lawnswood, was called Leeds Modern in his day. Now gone and a rather tacky modern replacement stands on the site. IMHO of course.! Hi footy,I must have missed this post.I'm an old boy('66-'71)didn't realise Mr McCann had died,I saw running a stall on Otley market many years after leaving school.Can remember Campbell(head),Fisher(dep.head),Wilcock,Grennan,Nixon,Melia.When were you there?