Calverley Woods

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Spackler

Post by Spackler »

In 1861 the headmaster of Woodhouse Grove School agreed with Thornhill Trustees to lay a pipe from two springs in Calverley Wood so to supply pure water to the school. This agreement lasted 34 years. The small reservoir in the wood still remains.This extract is from the wonderful 'Guide to the Calverley Millennium Way' which is available free in the area. I too had been trying to find out what this well/pond was after stumbling upon it. The little guide has loads on the history of the area and is a credit to those who produced it. Rawnsd - Coming on main road track from Apperley Bridge, parallel to canal way. About 100m past gates/last house, turn right up hill and go up hill path leading to left and eventually will come to clearing. Hope this helps as not easy to describe.

Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Spackler wrote: In 1861 the headmaster of Woodhouse Grove School agreed with Thornhill Trustees to lay a pipe from two springs in Calverley Wood so to supply pure water to the school. This agreement lasted 34 years. The small reservoir in the wood still remains.This extract is from the wonderful 'Guide to the Calverley Millennium Way' which is available free in the area. I too had been trying to find out what this well/pond was after stumbling upon it. The little guide has loads on the history of the area and is a credit to those who produced it. Rawnsd - Coming on main road track from Apperley Bridge, parallel to canal way. About 100m past gates/last house, turn right up hill and go up hill path leading to left and eventually will come to clearing. Hope this helps as not easy to describe. Hi, Its easy really, come from app bdge OVER CANAL into woods, parking at top of road. Go left on foot on thornhill. Go thru gates and watch out for a tree on your right with a painted cross on it. Enter woods there and bear left . VOILA . By the way it is small. HOWEVER. There is another possible site, turn right after parking car instead of left, walk until you can see a trail meeting you on left follow trail and look out on ur left u cant miss it. Just after this on right are sum steps and a well. This was where the gardener for champion house lived ( trust me i met him ten years ago ). I have been going in these woods 40 years and if i can help i will 07814 970403. Bob

Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Hi ALL,My family have spent over a hundred years walking these woods, i have always been told that it was an Italian POW camp and the POWs built New Line in Greengates My dad said he knew some of the prisoners after the war.(Lots of Italians lived in greengates and on thorpe edge when i was young.] . I have posted a reply re the resorvoir already. Cant say i know it all but quite a lot.    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

The quarry was particularly a big one so plenty of structures belong to that too. The quarry face is a favourite climb for serious rock climbers I gather!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Bob H wrote: Hi ALL,My family have spent over a hundred years walking these woods, Wow Bob, they must have been tired!

Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Deleted    

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Bob H, I hope you are still reading. As a relative newcomer to this forum myself I can say that most contributors have well-developed senses of humour, and good-natured friendly banter is part and parcel of membership. LS 1s comment was very much in keeping with this ethos, and I assure you had no offensive content or intent. I hope you can bring yourself to accept this and continue to help our searches for information. If not, thank you for your contribution, and best wishes for the future.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Well I think we will all agree that an attitude like that from Bob H to a perfectly harrmless and not entirely uninvited response is something we can do without. I also note that this contributor with pehaps some degree of hypocrassy feels that the use of thinly disguissed profanity is acceptable on a potentially family web site which, perahps speaks volumes about the contributor's own sense of propriety.We all know that LS1 is one of the least offensive contributors we have on Secret Leeds, unlike the respondent to his post.The offending post together with any further undesirable offerings will be deleted.            

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

The former displaced persons camp used to boast a high water tower, accessible via a vertical unguarded ladder. The tank contained several feet of water, presumably rainfall as there was no cover. Good for swimming in! I can't imagine such a structure being abandoned with ready access today.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Ooops, what did I say? sorry to have caused and offence to anyone, certianly nothing was intended!