The Cattle Market

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
liits

Post by liits »

The two closest pubs to the Cattle Market were the Druid's Head at the Junction of Wortley Lane [see the pic below] and the Smyths Arms - which, if the former Union Mills wasn't in the way, would be in the middle of the pic and another couple of hundred yards further on would have been the Cattle Market Hotel.    
Attachments
__TFMF_zctrrtiys3qm4gqs5ggtxo55_56e9edb5-2bd2-41c2-b6ff-2068168ed461_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zctrrtiys3qm4gqs5ggtxo55_56e9edb5-2bd2-41c2-b6ff-2068168ed461_0_main.jpg (377.14 KiB) Viewed 4265 times

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

liits wrote: I'll try....The photo of the buses is taken from [and I hope I've got the name right, please, if somebody knows better..] Sinfield Street looking in the direction of Gelderd Road. The busses are both heading uphill from Geldered Road [along "Sinfield Street" towards Whitehall Road............"Sinfield Street" or whatever its called, disapeared when Whitehall Road was juggled about.     Sinfield Street - and God Bless Kevin, even if he does hail from Oldham - is probably Smithfield Street. Named as such in due deference to the 'new' cattle market's illustrious predecessor on North Street. The key location switch date of 1886 and plenty of references to the name Smithfield are well-documented earlier (in 2007 to be exact) on in this thread by Drapesey.Besides, if you screw your eyes up to look at the maps, it looks a bit like Smithfield.Sorry Kev. You'll have to wait a bit longer to have a street in Leeds named after you. But you sure deserve it!

liits

Post by liits »

Thanks S&P, I just had to go back and check what that was all about! I can't think what I was thinking... Sinfield indeed!The error is now corrected.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Cheers liits.Here is an interesting comparison shot from LEODIS - where else? -showing the Smyths and Taintons some thirty years after your picture and from a different vantage point. Note the chimney pots especially. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Thanks for the info and pics Liits and Salt & Pep. It was the Smyths Arms I must have seen back then. I returned years later, mentioned in another thread, to a derelict house fire in Oswald Terr. getting four stitches in my face, for my trouble. lol. This forum's members are so thorough, I'm proud to be a member.
Touch not but the glove

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

Excellent photos. I worked at Winerite from 2000-2003 and I too was very interested in the history of it as a cattle market. The sink holes are still all over the place and even a few meat hooks. Well, they were when I worked there, it's since changed into a JTF.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

BIG N wrote: BarFly wrote: I know this is years out of date but I thought the warehouse was also a "cash and carry" type shop? I could have sworn I helped my brother carry a few cases of wine out of the ex market building a decade or so ago.Surely somebody has a card for there and can ask to take a few pictures? Sorry Barfly but Winerites moved out of those premises about three years ago, the warehouse has stood empty ever since.Liits - if its possible can you help me place where exactly that excellent photo was taken, it's before my time in Leeds and I'd like to work out roughly where it is - cheers. Actually, it's been a JTF for years.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Isn't JTF a bit further away from Leeds to where Winerite is or was it all once part of the same?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I should probably be to ask, as I suspect I really should know, but what is JTF?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote: I should probably be to ask, as I suspect I really should know, but what is JTF? http://www.jtfmegadiscountwarehouse.co. ... -leeds.php