A vacant area on York Street at St Peters Buildings.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I'm very rarely in the York Street area but I was on February 7 2012. I noticed there is an area that is empty but which would have had a building (or buildings) that was demolished at some stage. The photo shows a view of one side of the empty area with York Street off to the left. I like the old doorways that would have been on the floors of the building. I have tried to find a photo of a view from York Street taken shortly before the demolition but there seems to be none on Secret Leeds nor in Leodis (the latter has images taken very many years back). I wonder if anyone has any information as to what was demolished and/or a link to a photo showing the view before the demolition.The following link is to a Google Street view which was taken in June 2008 and shows that the building had been demolished by at least then. http://www.google.com/maps?q=YORK+STREE ... 4,,0,-8.13
Attachments
__TFMF_jafv1l55020yowveiggcw5nc_19a88f25-26ef-4b3f-a4b7-6f98b0dddf2c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jafv1l55020yowveiggcw5nc_19a88f25-26ef-4b3f-a4b7-6f98b0dddf2c_0_main.jpg (287.2 KiB) Viewed 2593 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This a view of the opposite side, with York Street off to the right.
Attachments
__TFMF_jafv1l55020yowveiggcw5nc_55f8924e-75ae-4586-b6e2-4f4d8d1e1809_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jafv1l55020yowveiggcw5nc_55f8924e-75ae-4586-b6e2-4f4d8d1e1809_0_main.jpg (248.03 KiB) Viewed 2593 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

And finally, a view looking towards York Street across the site to give an idea of the extent of the empty area.
Attachments
__TFMF_jafv1l55020yowveiggcw5nc_52942176-ae0e-4869-a5aa-6e06cff40384_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jafv1l55020yowveiggcw5nc_52942176-ae0e-4869-a5aa-6e06cff40384_0_main.jpg (214.77 KiB) Viewed 2593 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I've wandered around the plot when the fence was down. Not much to see but so large ppipework, poss old gas supply. Don't know about previous use. Possible garment factory?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote: I've wandered around the plot when the fence was down. Not much to see but so large ppipework, poss old gas supply. Don't know about previous use. Possible garment factory? Cheers Cardiarms.It was the interesting contrast between the old and the new (as seen in my first photo) that particularly caught my attention.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: I've wandered around the plot when the fence was down. Not much to see but so large ppipework, poss old gas supply. Don't know about previous use. Possible garment factory? I believe it was once indeed home to one of the many clothing manufacturers who graced that area. It has been derelict for many years now, the adjacent building remains do however home a few enterprises.There were gas holders on the Quarry Hill site close to there - maybe the pipework is related to those old structurers, maps and picture links on other Quarry Hill threads refer. I think Phill may have put a few pics up too at some time.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: Cardiarms wrote: I've wandered around the plot when the fence was down. Not much to see but so large ppipework, poss old gas supply. Don't know about previous use. Possible garment factory? I believe it was once indeed home to one of the many clothing manufacturers who graced that area. It has been derelict for many years now, the adjacent building remains do however home a few enterprises.There were gas holders on the Quarry Hill site close to there - maybe the pipework is related to those old structurers, maps and picture links on other Quarry Hill threads refer. I think Phill may have put a few pics up too at some time. Cheers chameleon. Oh and could you please amend my subject heading to change the "An vacant" to read "A vacant". Ta.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: chameleon wrote: Cardiarms wrote: I've wandered around the plot when the fence was down. Not much to see but so large ppipework, poss old gas supply. Don't know about previous use. Possible garment factory? I believe it was once indeed home to one of the many clothing manufacturers who graced that area. It has been derelict for many years now, the adjacent building remains do however home a few enterprises.There were gas holders on the Quarry Hill site close to there - maybe the pipework is related to those old structurers, maps and picture links on other Quarry Hill threads refer. I think Phill may have put a few pics up too at some time. Cheers chameleon. Oh and could you please amend my subject heading to change the "An vacant" to read "A vacant". Ta. Done in a twinkle

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Chameleon for amending my subject heading.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

Further up the road where St Peters Place is Im sure it has a street sign saying St Cecelia Street and Cecelia Road too. When did the name change happen? And who is St Cecelia?And shouldnt it be St Cecelia road too?