St Michael's Catholic College - Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Finbar was his real name, he taught Geography, RE and PE. He was my form master in first year, great guy.

James

Post by James »

Father Whittall taught RE in the fourth year (I think I'm correct in saying after more than 60 years). I remember asking him some awkward questions, which he could not answer to my satisfaction, about the existence of God and the authority of the Bible. This was the basis of our mutual hatred.He came, uninvited, to see my mother and father at home and complained about my religious scepticism. His insufferable assumption of social and intellectual superiority sticks in my memory. He also had a toff's accent (an Oxford drawl) that got on my nerves.    

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

He will have the last laugh when you are burning in hell.

jim

Post by jim »

That would be extremely un-christian of him.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Un-christian of him, and unlikely if you don't believe in hell !

Quisutdeus

Post by Quisutdeus »

According to this,http://www.jakethackray.com/about-and-f ... s.htmlJake Thackray attended St Mick's. Never heard that before. Does anyone know of any other eminent old boys? The only ones I can think of are Steve Nallon (Spitting Image impersonator -- I think he did the Maggie T voice) and Steve Elvidge (Age of Chance vocalist or "mob orator").

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

jim wrote: That would be extremely un-christian of him. Strictly speaking, very christian of him, if you're going to have a faith then believe it, otherwise what's the point of faith? Might as well worship Morrisons.I once worked with a Calvanist, best Christian I've ever worked with, he was saved, I'm going to burn, no need to have an arguement, lets go to the pub. :-D

Quisutdeus

Post by Quisutdeus »

An odd thing I've just remembered: before doing PE, we had to remove our underpants. We wore white shorts and pumps only. Strictly no underpants. I can remember Mr Salisbury prowling the changing room as we got changed to make sure everyone took off their undies. A bit suspect? There were functioning showers adjoining the changing room, but I never saw any boy use them.    

Quisutdeus

Post by Quisutdeus »

And calculating machines that sat on the corner of each table in the maths room. You did multiplication by turning the crank so many times e.g., to multiply by eight, you turned the crank eight times (or was it seven?). It certainly taught you the value of factorisation. Log tables. At the beginning of the second year, a terrifying rumour went round my class that Texas Ted Duffy (whom we hadn't yet met) would make us memorize the log tables.

James

Post by James »

anthonydna wrote: He will have the last laugh when you are burning in hell. You're joking of course....... I never saw Fr Whttall laugh at anything in this life. But who knows about eternal life? He might have developed a sense of humour there, I suppose.Famous old boys: The only one I can recall is Brian Bolus who played cricket for Yorkshire and I believe for England a few times.