Leeds First White Cloth Hall: public consulted on revamp

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
mark1978

Re: Leeds First White Cloth Hall: public consulted on revamp

Post by mark1978 »

I mean lads in a broader sense, of course. Chums, comrades, bonhommes.

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

I'm surprised there's not been a bit more excitement about this - one of the most historic buildings in Leeds FINALLY has a firm plan in place to bring it back into use after decades and decades of neglect and decay. It's still awaiting planning approval but I can't believe it would be knocked back at this point. Some of the planning docs at the above link are fascinating reading.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Future of one of Leeds' oldest buildings is set to be secured after planners approve radical re-development scheme

Read more at: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9054414
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Yes - it's finally happening. And thanks to Leeds Civic Trust's intervention, it's getting a cupola!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Could someone please tell me what is happening on the other side (Corn Exchange side ) I can only remember opposite Hayes Shellfish Bar was a cobbled street running down past the Corn Exchange.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:Could someone please tell me what is happening on the other side (Corn Exchange side ) I can only remember opposite Hayes Shellfish Bar was a cobbled street running down past the Corn Exchange.
Hi Jack :).

I assume you mean Crown Street that runs partly round the Corn Exchange. These are 2 photos that I took on March 13 2018. The first was taken from across Call Lane looking along Crown Street and the second is a closer view of the businesses that occupy some old buildings on Crown Street. It will be interesting to see what happens to those premises when the First White Cloth Hall area does get developed. The photos were taken just passed 12:00 and took some waiting to take, particularly to get the shot across Call Lane due to almost constant buses, vans, cars and people directly in view!
CrownStreetLeedsFromCallLaneMarch132018..jpg
CrownStreetLeedsFromCallLaneMarch132018..jpg (109.31 KiB) Viewed 8742 times
BusinessesUsingOldBuildingsOnCrownStreetLeedsMarch132018..jpg
BusinessesUsingOldBuildingsOnCrownStreetLeedsMarch132018..jpg (143.56 KiB) Viewed 8742 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Good old YEP. As quoted in their article, I would have thought that “Joanne Needham, for the Society of Prevention of Ancient Buildings,” would have been dead-set against the scheme.
The older I get, the better I was.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian wrote:
volvojack wrote:Could someone please tell me what is happening on the other side (Corn Exchange side ) I can only remember opposite Hayes Shellfish Bar was a cobbled street running down past the Corn Exchange.
Hi Jack

I assume you mean Crown Street that runs partly round the Corn Exchange. These are 2 photos that I took on March 13 2018. The first was taken from across Call Lane looking along Crown Street and the second is a closer view of the businesses that occupy some old buildings on Crown Street. It will be interesting to see what happens to those premises when the First White Cloth Hall area does get developed. The photos were taken just passed 12:00 and took some waiting to take, particularly to get the shot across Call Lane due to almost constant buses, vans, cars and people directly in view!

Thanks Leodian,
Yes that is it.
I have to say that looking back to the early 1950s it seemed a lot tidier than it does now. That "Blue Rinse" Monstrotity was a Gents Outfitters and behind that were some rickety old wooden stairs leading to "Lils Cafe"where i used to go 6 days a week for my dinner. 1/6d for a Roast dinner and 3d. for a Pudding. Her Husband Louie was like the Invisible man, Lil shouted the Orders and then when food was ready she would come outthrough the Steam and plonk it on your table.
The Building in the Middle with the Clock i seem to think was a Fish Shop.
It just looks so scruffy now,

tilly

Post by tilly »

The white building in the first photograph was a tobacco wholesalers many years ago.It then turned into an antiques centre It was originally a Georgian ball room,when i was in there last there were still traces of decoration from the original building I wonder if there is a preservation order on this building on even a plaque outside?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]The white building in the first photograph was a tobacco wholesalers many years ago.It then turned into an antiques centre It was originally a Georgian ball room,when i was in there last there were still traces of decoration from the original building I wonder if there is a preservation order on this building on even a plaque outside?

Would that have been Hirsts ?.