The Charles F Stead 'Stead Suede' tannery on Scott Hall road.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Dalehelms

Re: The Charles F Stead 'Stead Suede' tannery on Scott Hall road.

Post by Dalehelms »

Thanks for the link, hyperion. It is a really interesting video.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Leodian wrote:Passing by the Charles Stead 'Sheepscar Tannery' today (Dec 2 2015) I noticed it had an orange flag flying. I wonder if anyone knows what the reason for it was (assuming there was a reason)?
Passing by today (April 7 2016) I noticed that the flag seemed to be at half-mast. Assuming that it has not just slipped down I wonder if anyone knows why the flag was at half-mast as it has still been fully-up very recently?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

I was a very young barman in the Skinners Arms on the other side of Scott Hall Road in the summer of 72 and used to do the odd lunchtime shift. The workers from Steads used to come in on a Friday lunchtime. They always had to sit on their own and they used to reek of the chemicals that they used in their processes. This was back in the days before Health and Safety and the chemicals used to affect them physically as if any of them broke wind then it used to clear the tap room altogether. I know they most of what they produce now goes straight to the fashion houses of Milan. It seems that they concentrate on the high quality end of the market.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

Brill vid...thanks for posting
Come on Leeds United!

molly1988

Post by molly1988 »

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I would reply incase someone stumbles across it like I did and is interested.

I work here. Currently on my 3rd year. I work in the lab and test the leather before it's shipped to customers. I quite enjoy my job.

The inside looks exactly as the outside does for the main building - the part that can be seen from the road. :lol: it's very old fashioned and quite outdated. Many long winding corridors, steps and too many doors. Up to the 3rd floor is definitely still in use. There are still old machinery dotted around the floors that are no longer used.

The yard has many missmached buildings either full of either dye, huge skins of leather we call wet blue or house different parts and machines of the leather making process. It's also home to many cats.

The way it looks definitely grows on you. I love the fact that many of the staff have been there yeeeears! Some of them even have sons following in thier footsteps. When a member of staff reaches fifty years they get thier name on the fancy board which is really cool.

Our leather is stamped in the factories it's sent in Vietnam etc with our logo. They can be found in some of Clark's shoes.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi and welcome Molly1988. :)

Thanks for that very interesting and informative post. The 'fancy board' is interesting. I wonder how far back the names go?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Cassandra Botil

Post by Cassandra Botil »

This is quite amazing!
I'm really loving the way you guys dissect and breakdown every detail.
Plus the materials attached

tilly

Post by tilly »

The talk of sued took me right back to the fiftys blue sued shoes and teddy boys a time i would not have missed for anything.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

A lot of the mens' shoes in Clarks at the moment are suede. I wonder if the suede has come from Scott Hall road to my local Clarks via a shoe factory in Vietnam?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Now thats food for thought.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.