The Charles F Stead 'Stead Suede' tannery on Scott Hall road.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I regularly pass this building but knew very little about it. I have just looked at the Charles F Stead & Co Limited 'Sheepscar Tannery' website in which in its history section it states "Charles Frederick Stead, having gained much experience within the trade, decided to set up in business on his own, in small premises near the present site of the Leeds Television Studios around 1895. In 1905 with business booming he took over Sheepscar Tannery, which had up to that time been operated as a tannery and glueworks by Messrs Wilson & Walker Ltd. Some of the present day buildings date back to the founding of Wilson & Walker Ltd., at Sheepscar in 1823. The Meanwood valley contained many tanneries then, all relying on the soft water of Meanwood Beck."I have tried to find pictures of the premises but in the Leodis site I have only found some where it appears in the background with little detail. I have done a search of the SL website but have only found mentions of it, without images, in other topics (that may be due to my poor searching technique). I wonder if anyone knows any links to photos of the premises or has any photos? The building looks interesting. Though some of the works is still clearly in use there are some parts that do not look occupied and seem to be falling into disrepair.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Apparently they are not allowed to use any floors above the first or second due to it being unsafe and not being able to take the vibrations of the machinery.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

LS1 wrote: Apparently they are not allowed to use any floors above the first or second due to it being unsafe and not being able to take the vibrations of the machinery. Thanks for that information LS1.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

biggee

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

biggee99 wrote: Some photos http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/search.php Thanks biggee99. Do I need to be a member of that forum, as I've tried various search terms but nothing is found?

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Brunel wrote: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... ht=tannery Thanks Brunel. Some interesting things were left behind!

Leodian

Re: The Charles F Stead 'Stead Suede' tannery on Scott Hall road.

Post by Leodian »

Passing by the Charles Stead 'Sheepscar Tannery' today (Dec 2 2015) I noticed it had an orange flag flying. I wonder if anyone knows what the reason for it was (assuming there was a reason)?

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

There's also currently a sign up on the building advertising units to let. Maybe they're trying to bring the rest of the place back into use?

Interestingly from their online presence, it looks like Steads are a seriously well regarded firm. Doesn't really go with the state of the building...

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Little video about Charles F stead.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JwCKYfmkKU