Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Si

Post by Si »

Uncle Mick's right. It means a third. There never was a South Riding.A wapentake is an administrative area, going back to pre-Norman times, like a Hundred. There were nine in the West Riding. Leeds came mainly under the Skyrack wapentake, with parts in the Agbrigg & Morley wapentake.        

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Work House was further down Lady lane I think, at the JN of Edward St and Lady Lane. Car Park is there now. Even if the North Bar is in the old bus station its in a brick wall according to the pic posted about of the guy cementing it in. The corner has a marble effect where the wooden board is.It's not behind there though - there is a drainpipe to the left of it and on the existing building there is no provision for a drainpipe. I think it must be further round the back...

book

Post by book »

Si wrote: Uncle Mick's right. It means a third. There never was a South Riding.A wapentake is an administrative area, going back to pre-Norman times, like a Hundred. There were nine in the West Riding. Leeds came mainly under the Skyrack wapentake, with parts in the Agbrigg & Morley wapentake.         Then came local government and authorities with the growth of sanitation.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Caron

Post by Caron »

Thanks all for replies. Really interesting!

book

Post by book »

Hi Si, what were the 9 wapetakes ? Thanks
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

book wrote: Hi Si, what were the 9 wapetakes ? Thanks Have a look herehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Riding_of_Yorkshire

simong

Post by simong »

uncle mick wrote: Caron wrote: This seems a good thread to ask my question (hopefully).East, West, North Riding I have heard of since my childhhod but I have never heard of a South Riding. Was there one? Thanks. Only on the telly It was a book by Winifred Holby, written in 1937, and is in part a novel about local government in the 1930s. The South Riding is sort of east of Doncaster and south of Selby.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Not about Leeds I know but I ofthe wodered how there was a Wessex and is a Sussex, Essex and Middlesex but no Norssex?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BarFly wrote: Not about Leeds I know but I ofthe wodered how there was a Wessex and is a Sussex, Essex and Middlesex but no Norssex? That's me these days "Norssex"

Si

Post by Si »

book wrote: Hi Si, what were the 9 wapetakes ? Thanks WEST RIDING - 1. Agbrigg & Morley (Bradford, Dewsbury, Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds suburbs, Wakefield); 2. Barkston Ash (Selby, Tadcaster); 3. Claro (Ripon, Knaresborough); 4. Ewcross (Dent, Ingleton, Sedbergh); 5. Osgoldcross (Pontefract, Goole, Snaith); 6. Skyrack (Leeds); 7. Staincliffe (Keighley, Settle, Skipton, Stainburn); 8. Staincross (Barnsley); 9. Strafforth and Tickhill (Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield).