White Cloth Hall - part demolition?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tilly

Post by tilly »

Phill_dvsn wrote: It doesn't look promising does it?Picture (c) copyright John Baron from the Guardian website herehttp://www.guardian.co.uk/leeds/2010/aug/20/fi ... n-kirkgate No it does not phill i should have thought it would be a listed building.If that is the case how as it been allowed to get into the state we see it now has i see it they will either knock it down or rip the guts out of it, any thing to get revenue from the site and thats what it boils down to revenue.Ps I did not see the above post if and its a big if they do what they say then that could be a first. In my life time in Leeds i have seen so many buildings knocked down that should be still standing to make way for so called modern buildings that in turn have or will be Knocked down.I have just about given up thinking about it.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I did not know until this thread that only 15% of the original White Cloth Hall survives. That means 85% has already been lost over time. Shame and sad.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It begs the question, is 15 % of the original building left intact really worth saving? That will be even less with the broken bricks, the plaster, and cement is smashed. Taking it down slowly brick, by brick, and numbering it with an archeologist at hand?It does seem pointless to be honest. What are they going to do with the old bricks? Cover them up with new cement render, and plaster?You wouldn't even know.They may as well flatten the thing. It will be down in two days. Then they could start on the thing proper. At half the cost.That seems like vandalism, but in effect that happened through neglect many years ago.Just my opinion of course.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

On second thoughts! I'm guessing the scandal factor of having to demolish such an historically important building through neglect, is one there massively keen to avoid There seems a few parties where the finger of blame can be pointed at for this one.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Greeno108

Post by Greeno108 »

It really has been long term vandalism. Its such a beautiful building and its gone to waste. I too didn't realise that only 15% of its original fabric was left. Its criminal that its been allowed to decay. The little optimism I had left for it has evaporated very quickly in the past 24 hours :-( Thanks for making me feel welcome :-)

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Greeno108 wrote: Thanks for making me feel welcome :-) Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay

Misc

Post by Misc »

Went past today, road is partially closed and there's not an awful lot left by the looks of things.It's been rotting for years hasn't it? Shame.Are there any other treasures that might go the same way if they're not looked after? Apart from the market etc...

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: On second thoughts! I'm guessing the scandal factor of having to demolish such an historically important building through neglect, is one there massively keen to avoid There seems a few parties where the finger of blame can be pointed at for this one. If they are keen to avoid that over a listed property Phil, it will be a first as we well know.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Phill_dvsn wrote: It begs the question, is 15 % of the original building left intact really worth saving? They may as well flatten the thing. WHAT???Have you no reverence for history???Only kidding - If we are going to save things they do need to either be somewhere convenient like bits of old castles in the country, or somewhat complete so there's something to actually look at.There should be a mix of old things saved, including industrial, commercial, institutional and social buildings.I lament the fact that they don't tend to save working class things which is an imbalance. Rather than keep tiny bits of this cloth hall for gawds sake go down the road and restore the georgian workers cottages by the parish................

LS1

Post by LS1 »

They have saved the three Georgian workers cottages though on High Court.... Jut as shame they've done absolutely nowt with them at all and look like they will go the same way and rot to nothing!