Trinity Leeds Project

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BIG N

Post by BIG N »

mhoulden wrote: What was the crane they used to install the new lift at the City Varieties? There's some photos of it in the City Varieties group on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... type=3It's also some sort of Liebherr and I like the idea of avoiding the buildings around the place by going over them. Mhoulden - thats A Liebherr MK110 and is a different type of crane in that it as actually a mobile tower crane, effectivly it is the type of crane that was being dismantled from the Trinity project except it can deliver itself to site lol.Its a big, impressive bit of kit with not that big a payload, only being able to lift at max in the region of ten tons ( not 100% certain of its capacity without checking but its there abouts ) although to be fair the tower cranes you see on site are not able to lift much more than that, if that much at all.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian wrote: I was chatting to one of the crane crew while I was taking the photos on August 18 2012 and he said that the crane could lift up to the 500 tons that Big N mentioned yesterday. That's some weight to lift! This crane can lift some heavy weight too-nearly....oops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdCJzO3w ... e=shareAnd vindictive big crane teaches a smaller crane a lesson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEdnuwLr ... re=related     No problem with the second video, thats a definate whoops lol but the first one is so staged its beyond funny.Theres no way anyone with half a brain would lift gear like that on a pallet and no way you would sling a pallet that way, even having the yapping mop head on an extended lead in the shot just to add an extra bit of drama lol.Theres no reason for the pallet to drop the way it did as the straps dont break but the straps are not over the crane hook, they are held by some kind of release device, probably remote controlled and if you watch very carefully ( frame by frame ) the, supposedly, frail old man can be glimpsed running back into shot just after the pallet landed.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: Walking past Trinity on Boar Lane the other day, I couldn't help put notice the unpleasant whiff of sewage in the air.mrs ravey (who works in central Leeds) says it often smells like that around there and has done for a while.Has anyone else noticed it? I know it's been warm of late but it's not normally a smell you get in the city centre and I can't help but wonder if a sewage pipe might have been disturbed (or worse) during all the building work....     When I was in the Infirmary Street/Park Row area around 13:30 today (Sept 9 2012) I became aware of a foul smell (honest, not me!). When I was on Boar Lane waiting for a bus at the Trinity Project from 14:20 there was however a much more noticeable sewage like smell wafting on and off in the 15 minutes I was there.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leo It was me..Interesting article found reading the net today:- Trinity Leeds will be the biggest retail site to open in Western Europe in 2013..!http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... onomy.html    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

The late night opening and leisure aspect (restaurants and cinema) will be a welcome addition to the centre.The light is fine but is hardly a shopping destination.Arena as well next year,its going fairly well in town at the moment,lets hope more projects come online and with that more jobs.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

cnosni wrote: The late night opening and leisure aspect (restaurants and cinema) will be a welcome addition to the centre.The light is fine but is hardly a shopping destination. Perfectly true cnosni, but I really love "The Light" - it somehow has a unique character, and to walk though it you feel a sense of calm and immaculate maintenance. On the upper floors its grand to study the tops of the buildings which were once in the open air in the original thoroughfare. The businesses and outlets which are there seem to flourish quietly and so that's good. One cause of regret though is the closure, understandable I suppose, of the superb NHS "drop in" centre which helped me on occasion, and many other folks too I imagine.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Blakey agree all you say.+ as a parent it is a nice oasis for the young'uns to meet, eat and see a film. Strangely (unless it's my age) St Johns never really was anything other than "the route through to get to/from The Merrion".

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The St Johns is an odd shopping mall - like you say, a dry route to and from the Merrion Centre and little more. It certainly doesn't contain any "destination" shops as far as I'm concerned.It will be interesting to see how the Everyman Cinema gets on within Trinity. With the Vue multiplex already established within The Light, another Vue multiplex at Kirkstall Road and a further multiplex proposed for the White Rose expansion it does make you wonder how many screens Leeds can support, especially when you consider the further established cinema complexes at Gildersome, Thornhill and Glasshoughton are easily reachable by car for people in the surrounding areas.    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I'm probably wrong but from what I've read it seems that a paid for membership is required in order to see films at an Everyman cinema. If that is the case then with my infrequent cinema visits I won't be going to that in the Trinity.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

From the Everyman website:http://www.everymancinema.com/about-everymanAs our brand continues to grow, Everyman will bemaking our northern debut at the landmark one millionsq ft Trinity Leeds scheme which opens in Spring 2013.The 20,000 sq ft purpose-built complex with three screensand private screening rooms will be Everyman Media Group’sfirst venue outside of London and the South East. Theboutique cinema, which will be opening alongside leadingfashion brands in a destination served by a stylishnew café/restaurant quarter, looks set to boost the24-hour economy of Leeds.It looks like they operate a membership scheme, but it doesn't appear to be compulsory to be a member to get tickets (as far as I can see...)
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell