Trinity Leeds Project

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

cnosni wrote: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 24362Lokks like changes for church itself.Sad to say,but time moves on,and the building and its fabric are now the important thing to preserve. So true, times change and we all have a tendancy to be nostalgic which is fine. In some cases such as this its better to have the building with a different use rather than it to disappear all together.Times gone by were not always better!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Walking past Trinity on Boar Lane the other day, I couldn't help put notice the unpleasant whiff of sewage in the air.mrs ravey (who works in central Leeds) says it often smells like that around there and has done for a while.Has anyone else noticed it? I know it's been warm of late but it's not normally a smell you get in the city centre and I can't help but wonder if a sewage pipe might have been disturbed (or worse) during all the building work....    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

LS1

Post by LS1 »

raveydavey wrote: Walking past Trinity on Boar Lane the other day, I couldn't help put notice the unpleasant whiff of sewage in the air.mrs ravey (who works in central Leeds) says it often smells like that around there and has done for a while.Has anyone else noticed it? I know it's been warm of late but it's not normally a smell you get in the city centre and I can help but wonder if a sewage pipe might have been disturbed (or worse) during all the building work.... Yeah, it's near the Burger King- I thought it was Burger King at first!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is one of several photos that I took on August 18 2012 when there was a massive crane being used at the Trinity Project. This photo is looking towards Duncan Street from Boar Lane and shows the crane taking up much of the width of Boar Lane, necessitating the use of temporary traffic lights.
Attachments
__TFMF_gtdqpbaynd35qznggjt05bzq_f4dec0a4-1434-4b9e-b0c5-fc77735d8e19_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gtdqpbaynd35qznggjt05bzq_f4dec0a4-1434-4b9e-b0c5-fc77735d8e19_0_main.jpg (108.27 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a closer view of the crane that also shows its massive low-down counter balance weight blocks (?). A person can be seen walking along the very high up arm and there is another climbing up to the cage-like area to the left of Trinity Church (there is also a person in the cage). They must all have a good head-for-heights and not suffer vertigo!
Attachments
__TFMF_gtdqpbaynd35qznggjt05bzq_e5aa51e2-5405-441d-95b3-da80e780fbd9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gtdqpbaynd35qznggjt05bzq_e5aa51e2-5405-441d-95b3-da80e780fbd9_0_main.jpg (114.59 KiB) Viewed 2286 times

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Leodian wrote: This is a closer view of the crane that also shows its massive low-down counter balance weight blocks (?). A person can be seen walking along the very high up arm and there is another climbing up to the cage-like area to the left of Trinity Church (there is also a person in the cage). They must all have a good head-for-heights and not suffer vertigo! Great pics Leodian.....looks like they are using at least a couple of the cranes in tandem.Must be some important lifts in progress.Those cranes(particularly the monster mobile) run into the many thousands £ per day to hire !
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: T A person can be seen walking along the very high up arm and there is another climbing up to the cage-like area to the left of Trinity Church ( Just for a minute Leodian I thought you said a PARSON - no trouble there as he'd just be on his way to Head Office for an interview !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

somme1916 wrote: Those cranes(particularly the monster mobile) run into the many thousands £ per day to hire ! Same model crane and same contractor somme as visited these Queenswood flats recently to change the TV and Communications aerials and equipment on our roof - in the close confines of our car park this was a fascinating operation to watch.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BLAKEY wrote: Leodian wrote: T A person can be seen walking along the very high up arm and there is another climbing up to the cage-like area to the left of Trinity Church ( Just for a minute Leodian I thought you said a PARSON - no trouble there as he'd just be on his way to Head Office for an interview !! That made me . This photo is a zoomed in one showing two men very high up (that is probably not obvious in the photo) though it does not look like there is much protection from falling off. They do though look to have safety straps, which I assume would be necessary under Health & Safety laws.Your comment Blakey about the crane at the flats is very interesting.
Attachments
__TFMF_1ecxq255whzjmi45ep2a0qjh_dbfd3346-1b3b-4206-9479-683b81325a06_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1ecxq255whzjmi45ep2a0qjh_dbfd3346-1b3b-4206-9479-683b81325a06_0_main.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 2286 times

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

somme1916 wrote: Great pics Leodian.....looks like they are using at least a couple of the cranes in tandem.Must be some important lifts in progress. Not working in tandem Somme, the mobile unit was there over the weekend to preform two duties, the first on Saturday was to remove the bulk of the crane you see it attached to in Leodian's excellent photos, Sunday was spent removing the remaining sections of the tower then installing the elevator for the building in the shaft left by the removal of the first crane, finally they finished up on Sunday by lifting the associated winding motor and gear assembley for the lift into place.This will be repeated in the not two distant future when they return to remove the other static crane and install the lift in the shaft that one is currently situated in.Didn't manage to get a good look at the mobile unit over the weekend as each time I passed the site I was busy keeping an eye on not only the traffic, site workers, tempory lights etc but also the idiots who chose to walk down the road in that area as opposed to using the pavement lol.However, if anyone is interested I can tell you it was a Leibherr of either the LTM1500 or LTM1400 model, these are the only two on eight axle's from that particular manufacturer.The 1500 can lift up to 500 tons and the 1400 can lift 400 tons, both having a very impressive jib span the 1400 has a main boom of 60mts and can use a lattice boom ( more commonly known as a fly jib ) of anything up to 84mts - total working jib length of upto 144mts, of course the lifting capacity is then massivly reduced.If you think thats impressive the 1500 has a main beam of 84mts with a fly jib of up to 91mts - total jib length of 175mts - thats some reach.Blakey - not too sure if it would have been a 1400 / 1500 that did the lift at Queenswood, more likely to have been a smaller cousin such as the six axle LTM1250 which is still an impressive looking machine with a lift capacity of 250 tons max Sorry if I have bored anyone with that bit of info but i have a friend who gets very excited about plant and things like this and, having often been pressed into service to drive him to the site of big lifts, some of it tends to rub off and one tends to develop a small interest lol