Leeds swimming pools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

With the recent additions of Armley and Morley sports centres I wondered how many swimming pools Leeds had in the past. Before bathrooms they seemed pretty important for the health of Leeds people. I recall Armley baths had slipper paths and laundry facilites at one time.When I was a kid I visited Armley, Holbeck (where I learnt to swim), and Bramley baths.I was fascinated to see the old photos of an open aired swimming pool at Wortley Recreation Park on the Leodis site (attached)http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 26_3947085
Attachments
__TFMF_jlmzfh45bo0p4x55ieglen2j_8920631a-8257-4fd3-af61-ab3ab11da479_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jlmzfh45bo0p4x55ieglen2j_8920631a-8257-4fd3-af61-ab3ab11da479_0_main.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 4668 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

As a kid in the early 1950's (probably earlier) I used to go to the swimming pool on York Road (next to where the old library was). As a Cockburnian in the mid to late 1950's I went for school swimming sessions at a swimming pool on Joseph Street. There used to be a bath on Union Street very close to where Millgarth Police station is though I only vaguely recall using that. There were others and not forgetting the Roundhay Park outdoors baths. I seem to recall at York Road that us boys changed on a long upper balcony behind a sheet but the girls had cubicles next to the pool.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

farbank

Post by farbank »

When I was a lad, we always went to the Union St. baths. Where the Millgarth police station now stands. You can still see parts of the baths that have remained. But our mams never let us wear anything half decent to go there. Because as sure as hell, socks, shoes even britches would get pinched. I was thrown out of the York Rd. baths, one Sunday morning session, in my early teens. I was doing a steady breast stroke in the pool, when I sucked in what felt like a baby oyster.? I began feeling it with my tongue, against the roof of my mouth.!! Big mistake.Someone had obviously emptied their nose in the water. I ingested it.!!Needless to say, as I spat it out turning very green, I was blamed by the attendant for its cause. I never ever went back neither.

Si

Post by Si »

farbank wrote: When I was a lad, we always went to the Union St. baths. Where the Millgarth police station now stands. You can still see parts of the baths that have remained. There's a bit about Union Street Baths on an old thread, "Milgarth Police Station Area," Farbank.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Swimming baths on Cookridge Street and at Holbeck, Bramley, Meanwood Road

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Armley, Bramley, Kirkstall and the 'lympics (International Pool) for me. I asked about the Wortley pool in a thread that was mysteriously pulled, I know not why. Does anyone know where abouts on the park the Wortley pool was?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Chrism wrote: Armley, Bramley, Kirkstall and the 'lympics (International Pool) for me. I asked about the Wortley pool in a thread that was mysteriously pulled, I know not why. Does anyone know where abouts on the park the Wortley pool was? I believe it was in the NE corner (used to be a water fountain there) near the railings beside the railway line. Several photos on Leodis site. I knew a guy whose grandfather remembered it though I'm not sure when it was closed - some photos suggests subsidence was a problem. From Google streetview - view from Oldfield Lane - Baths were at the top of the hill to the left on the flat groundhttp://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=leeds+oldfield+lane&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=36.536367,29.311523&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Oldfield+Ln,+Leeds,+West+Yorkshire+LS12,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.789497,-1.579113&spn=0,0.044889&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.78954,-1.578945&panoid=HryYy6y_HmkelpiJcKnS4Q&cbp=12,149.45,,0,7.15

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Leeds Hippo wrote: When I was a kid I visited Armley, Holbeck (where I learnt to swim), and Bramley baths. Me too! Brownhill school on Harehills Lane used to bus us to Holbeck baths for swimming lessons 1 morning per week.Then I moved from E Leeds to Bramley and used Bramley baths for fun in the school holidays but school used to take us to Armley Baths.I also used the Cookridge street baths and Roundhay lido as well as the international pool when it was built. ps I don't remember seeing you in the pool - Iwould have remembered a Hippo!    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Leeds Hippo wrote: Chrism wrote: Armley, Bramley, Kirkstall and the 'lympics (International Pool) for me. I asked about the Wortley pool in a thread that was mysteriously pulled, I know not why. Does anyone know where abouts on the park the Wortley pool was? I believe it was in the NE corner (used to be a water fountain there) near the railings beside the railway line. Several photos on Leodis site. I knew a guy whose grandfather remembered it though I'm not sure when it was closed - some photos suggests subsidence was a problem. Yeah you can see that here.
Attachments
__TFMF_5ankln2uyjz1m0mxef3fqw2b_43a5a58c-dd9c-43d8-aada-e068f4014664_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_5ankln2uyjz1m0mxef3fqw2b_43a5a58c-dd9c-43d8-aada-e068f4014664_0_main.jpg (53.18 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

I'm surprised there are not more photos on the Leodis site - many had quite grand entrances as I recall