Peoples Theatre - Albion Street

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Any memories of The Peoples'Theatre ?If I remembercorrectly it was the bottom end of AlbionStreet,left hand side going up from Boar Lane.Could have belonged to the Co-op.seem to remember going to see a pantomine therein the fifties.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I've had a quick look at the Leeds phone books in the 1950's.Nothing listed under People's Theatre                 Michael

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Found this, but probably not what you remember and the wrong end of the road?'I can just remember the Theatre Royal - wasn't it knocked down for a new Schofields? I remember the Empire being in Briggate and think I once went there - but can't be sure. It was indeed knocked down Trojan to build a new extension to Schofields, but due to the continuing existence as a road (at that time) of King Chares Croft the new shop had to be linked to the old Headrow Schofields by an enclosed (glazed) overhead walkway.'    

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Letter tonight in YEP from Hazel NobleEx president MAOS(?) on behalf ofdirector Roger Cryer(now in London)Trying to find people who were in Old King Colewhich they presented at the Co-op Old Peoples Hall.Albion st.No dates given.Contact details on YEP letters page.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The YEP today (Jan 31st) has a report with images on page 26 to 27 about old cinemas and theatres in the centre of Leeds. In that it states "gone from the Co-op buildings at the bottom of Albion Place is the People's Hall concert venue". Edit added about 22:55 on Jan 31st.I think the Albion Place in the YEP report may be wrong as the Co-op was to the bottom of Albion Street (the Co-op has not been there for some years now and the site is currently being developed as part of the Trinity Project). Assuming of course that there was not a People's Hall at the bottom of Albion Place (where would the bottom of that be though?).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Geordie-exile wrote: People's Hall on Leodis:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=8325 Thank you all !After getting little response to the original post I thought it might be my memory playing up again.What a coincidence that it is mentioned in 2 seperate parts in the YEPon the same night after all that time.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

dogduke wrote: Letter tonight in YEP from Hazel NobleEx president MAOS(?) on behalf ofdirector Roger Cryer(now in London)Trying to find people who were in Old King Colewhich they presented at the Co-op Old Peoples Hall.Albion st.No dates given.Contact details on YEP letters page. Haven't seen tonight's YEP so I am unaware of the detail in Hazel Noble's letter. However I think MAOS refers to the Morley Amateur Operatic Society. This is still a very active group who put on shows and pantomimes etc at Morley Town Hall.In bygone days they may have staged productions at the Co-operative Buildings (the Co-op Hall) on Albion Street in Morley.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

salt 'n pepper wrote: dogduke wrote: Letter tonight in YEP from Hazel NobleEx president MAOS(?) on behalf ofdirector Roger Cryer(now in London)Trying to find people who were in Old King Colewhich they presented at the Co-op Old Peoples Hall.Albion st.No dates given.Contact details on YEP letters page. Haven't seen tonight's YEP so I am unaware of the detail in Hazel Noble's letter. However I think MAOS refers to the Morley Amateur Operatic Society. This is still a very active group who put on shows and pantomimes etc at Morley Town Hall.In bygone days they may have staged productions at the Co-operative Buildings (the Co-op Hall) on Albion Street in Morley. Oops! Just seen Hazel Noble's letter in full in yesterday's YEP lying around at work this morning. In it she does specify Albion Street, Leeds 1. Sorry for throwing a spanner in the works.The question arises of how many MAOS' there are.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Wonder whether the production toured, because apparently it was written for and on at Leeds Playhouse in 1970.http://www.filmreference.com/film/29/Ke ... l.htmlAlso, if maos did stand for Morley Amateur Operatic Society, their own website listing past productions doesn't show this production. Strange. http://www.morleyaos.org.uk/past_productions.htm