The "Rolarena"

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
stevief

Post by stevief »

I think that's how it's spelt.It stood next to where Yorkshire TV is now in fact I think they own the building.We used to go there from school as an alternative to games.I'd no idea how to roller skate butgiven the choice between standing around a muddy field in shorts in the middle of winter and being warm and dry inside 'skating' I soon picked it up.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I well remember this place. Bizarrely it was once used as the venue for a David Bowie concert in the mid 70's (sadly I didnt go - but I know a man who did!) I believe the concert was going to be at the uni but there were some problems - with the stage not being big enough if I remember rightly. So at quite short notice it was switched to the rolarena - I think that was the only concert ever staged there.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

liits

Post by liits »

Wasn't it once the Hq of ASDA?

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Remember the Rolarena well used to go Sunday afternoons in the late 60s, prior to this it was the silverblades ice rink. The Bowie concert was in 73 "The Ziggy Stardust Tour" didnt go myself but many friends attended.

stevief

Post by stevief »

liits wrote: Wasn't it once the Hq of ASDA? It's directly opposite the ASDA building as it stands now.I think it'sYTV offices or summat.There's a large concrete'shelter'-for want of a better word-above the main doors,this used to have stairs running up each side and the entrance was above where the doors are now-if that makes sense!

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I remember being taken to the silver blades ice rink as a small kid in the early 60`s...it was always popular and then for some reason it was converted into the Leeds Rolerena, there must have been a good reason, maybe they thought roller skating would do better because there was ice skating already in nearby bradford. And then, in June 1973, i returned, to worship along with the gathered throng at the feet of Ziggy Stardust, Bowie did 2 gigs there that day to compensate for the cancelled gig at the uni. A week later, David killed his ziggy character off at the hammersmith odeon in London, so we were among the last to see his grand creation. The Leeds Rolerena holds very happy memories for this proud Loiner.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Wasn't there a bowling alley underneath the Rolarena, seem to remember going in there in the 60s

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

yes there was a bowling alley underneath the then ice rink, when the merrion centre opened in 1964 it took over.

twanky

Post by twanky »

I remember going there and spilling a full glass of coke over my nice white trousers the 1st time i put those skates on. Oh happy days

Letty

Post by Letty »

If anyone is interested there is a Roller Disco at Tiger Tiger on Tuesdays, 7.30 til 9.30. www.northernroll.co.uk All the info is on his web-site. I never went to the arena there but a lot of leisure centres had roller discos on a Saturday afternoon. And the ice rink.... Bradford hasn't changed one iota! seriously! It looks like the last 30 years has passed it by!