10 Water Lane

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: 10 Water Lane

Post by Leodian »

The archway/door is still there as seen in these 2 photos that I took on November 2 2021. It's an interesting feature that is surprisingly still there. Presumably nobody wants to build there, for now! :)
10WaterLaneLeedsNov022021(1)..jpg
10WaterLaneLeedsNov022021(1)..jpg (193.22 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
10WaterLaneLeedsNov022021(2)..jpg
10WaterLaneLeedsNov022021(2)..jpg (173.61 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian I could be wrong but i think there might be a protection order on it.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I think proximity to the river and Asda House would have limited development on TV he waste ground. That it was put back, presumably as a condition of the area being used as a wharfe during construction of the Station southern entrance, suggests some protection. It looks like it will soon be in the shadow of a footbridge https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... ZVQJBHXV00
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

Many thanks for your reply tyke bhoy glad it is being preserved i know its not much has buildings go, but to me we have lost so much with the march of progress. We need to keep has much has we can for posterity or other wise a lot of Leeds historical past will be lost, i am sure that in the future there will be regret about some buildings that have been demolished in the path of progress.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:
Thu 04 Nov, 2021 3:56 pm
Many thanks for your reply tyke bhoy glad it is being preserved i know its not much has buildings go, but to me we have lost so much with the march of progress. We need to keep has much has we can for posterity or other wise a lot of Leeds historical past will be lost, i am sure that in the future there will be regret about some buildings that have been demolished in the path of progress.
Hi tilly :).
Your observations are true and it's sad to see photos of some long or even not so long demolished buildings. Sadly though some could never be fully renovated to meet modern needs. I suspect that many years down the line when some of the generally unloved modern buildings have been demolished there will be concerns then that history is being lost.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Thu 04 Nov, 2021 2:47 pm
I think proximity to the river and Asda House would have limited development on TV he waste ground. That it was put back, presumably as a condition of the area being used as a wharfe during construction of the Station southern entrance, suggests some protection. It looks like it will soon be in the shadow of a footbridge https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... ZVQJBHXV00
Hi tyke bhoy :).
Thanks for that very interesting link whose contents I was not aware of. The 'HISTORIC ARCH RELOCATION' section is very relevant to the thread.
I still though wonder why the arch was kept when all around it was demolished.Whenever that was perhaps someone just thought it seemed worth keeping, as I would not have thought it had a preservation order then.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian So true if anyone says things like this we are accused of having rose tinted glasses there is a lot more to it than that.I dont know the thoughts of the younger generation but i suspect a lot of them are not bothered.History does not seem high on there priorities i could be wrong i hope so.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Passing by the site on March 29 2022 when going to take some photos of the very recently put-in-place David Oluwale Bridge I noticed that the arch was not there. I assume it had been removed so it did not interfere with the bridge related work. I wonder if its bricks were placed in safe keeping and that the arch will be rebuilt at some stage as a feature.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hi Leodian. You previously commented on the historic arch replacement document in the link I provided to planning documentation of the bridge. It definitely outlines the arch will be erected again as part of the landscaping phase of the bridge build. I'd expect that to be after the heavy construction of the bridge is complete
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote:
Thu 31 Mar, 2022 6:38 am
Hi Leodian. You previously commented on the historic arch replacement document in the link I provided to planning documentation of the bridge. It definitely outlines the arch will be erected again as part of the landscaping phase of the bridge build. I'd expect that to be after the heavy construction of the bridge is complete
Hi tyke bhoy. :)
Thanks for that. I should have checked back to that link where under the historic arch location it states "Deconstruct the historic arch and adjoining walls. Transport the stones to storage. Reassemble the arch".