10 Water Lane

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Thats brilliant, I didnt find it on Leodis cos I was looking for Water Lane when I should have looked for Bridge End.Seems to have been quite an impressive four storey warehouse possibly owned by the Co-op. Thanks everyone and I shall now see it in a completely different way when I walk past on a lunch time.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

buffaloskinner wrote: Does anyone know what 10 Water Lane was? It intrigues me every time I walk past as to what distant life it played. Apart from the doorway very little exists, although the part of the corner wall is quite substantial. Its next to the Asda car park.     Just on the doorway it's obviouly a very nice and probably expensive bit of stonework. No way that was going to be demolished.No way either that anyone was going to remember it had been left there!The value of such stone is intriguing. I was doing some work on an old Mill site when some peripheral stone buildings were being knocked down. The cost of the job was £30,000 to the demolition men and not to the main contractors because the deal was the demo men kept the stone.On other sites the large pieces of stonework have often been left, when they pulled Lawnswood school down, some stonework was just left near the fence.Across north leeds many grand old houses have been pulled down, but often the two large stone gateposts have been left.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

liits wrote: Excuse the bad photomerge and the incorrect position of one of the pubs but here is Water Lane [Holbeck Lane to Bridge End] Liits - have you got a pub called the Duke of York in Holbeck maybe around where beeston road commences - or any Duke of Tork around there??

kango

Post by kango »

Hi Parksider the Duke of York was just over half way down Beeston hill . Go onto Leodis web site put put "Beeston" as area then "Duke" in the keysearch and You should find some good pictures of said Pub.    

liits

Post by liits »

The Parksider wrote: liits wrote: Excuse the bad photomerge and the incorrect position of one of the pubs but here is Water Lane [Holbeck Lane to Bridge End] Liits - have you got a pub called the Duke of York in Holbeck maybe around where beeston road commences - or any Duke of Tork around there?? Not the best picture [it's a photograph, not a scan] from the 1905 OS Map.The Duke of York, 109 Beeston Rd.    
Attachments
__TFMF_acj4gi45nrlvl145yjctxizi_cf0f08b5-6adc-4ae2-b9ed-b05664716048_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_acj4gi45nrlvl145yjctxizi_cf0f08b5-6adc-4ae2-b9ed-b05664716048_0_main.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 7263 times

liits

Post by liits »

Here is a similar pic overlayed onto Google Earth. Leodis also has a picture of the pub.
Attachments
__TFMF_ywvqkl55katymt45yhgfld55_761f2541-35fc-48c9-ae71-58195d29ea10_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ywvqkl55katymt45yhgfld55_761f2541-35fc-48c9-ae71-58195d29ea10_0_main.jpg (269.79 KiB) Viewed 7263 times

kango

Post by kango »

... And not forgetting the White House just north east of the mulberry tree roughly near the white rectangle at the end of Folly Lane.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

kango wrote: Hi Parksider the Duke of York was just over half way down Beeston hill . Go onto Leodis web site put put "Beeston" as area then "Duke" in the keysearch and You should find some good pictures of said Pub.     Hi Kango - you are a star.A friends's grandpappy had that pub and he'll be delighted to see it in all it's whitewashed glory!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

liits wrote: The Parksider wrote: liits wrote: Excuse the bad photomerge and the incorrect position of one of the pubs but here is Water Lane [Holbeck Lane to Bridge End] Liits - have you got a pub called the Duke of York in Holbeck maybe around where beeston road commences - or any Duke of Tork around there?? Not the best picture [it's a photograph, not a scan] from the 1905 OS Map.The Duke of York, 109 Beeston Rd.     THANK YOUEver so much.....And thanks for the sterling work you are doing on Leeds pubs!

Si

Post by Si »

The Parksider wrote: liits wrote: The Parksider wrote: liits wrote: Excuse the bad photomerge and the incorrect position of one of the pubs but here is Water Lane [Holbeck Lane to Bridge End] Liits - have you got a pub called the Duke of York in Holbeck maybe around where beeston road commences - or any Duke of Tork around there?? Not the best picture [it's a photograph, not a scan] from the 1905 OS Map.The Duke of York, 109 Beeston Rd.     THANK YOUEver so much.....And thanks for the sterling work you are doing on Leeds pubs! Here, here!!