Angling in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

Were any of you SLers fishermen in the 50s & 60s ?As a nipper I started off at Farnley fish pond and the Delf in Wortley catching sticklebacks and gudgeon progressing to the canal near Amen Corner and Roundhay Park lake getting dace and roach.Later on it was Boston Spa and Wetherby trying to catch a trout without succes. That came later at Lake Semerwater.My favourite spot was the ' Mucky Ole' at Tadcaster where the brewery effluent was discharged straight into the river and attracted a great variety of species.There used to be myths of giant uncatchable pike lurking near the weir at Tadcaster and one in Roundhay Park lake called Big Bertha.Were these ever caught? Are these spots still fished ?CheersAndy

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

pashy2 wrote: Were any of you SLers fishermen in the 50s & 60s ?As a nipper I started off at Farnley fish pond and the Delf in Wortley catching sticklebacks and gudgeon progressing to the canal near Amen Corner and Roundhay Park lake getting dace and roach.Later on it was Boston Spa and Wetherby trying to catch a trout without succes. That came later at Lake Semerwater.My favourite spot was the ' Mucky Ole' at Tadcaster where the brewery effluent was discharged straight into the river and attracted a great variety of species.There used to be myths of giant uncatchable pike lurking near the weir at Tadcaster and one in Roundhay Park lake called Big Bertha.Were these ever caught? Are these spots still fished ?CheersAndy As a youngster I fished a bit in the 50s & 60s. Started off catching Sticklebacks, minnows etc in Meanwood Beck (then we called it 'the Dammy'). I too progressed to Roundhay park Lake and Tadcaster. I vaguely remember fishing regularly near an old sunken wooden barge at Tadcaster. I never caught the mythical 'pike' and never heard of anyone who did.

gbdlufc

Post by gbdlufc »

I learnt to fish in Roundhay park with my dad and his mate, I remember it as if it was yesterday off the wall opposite the boats my 1st fish was a perch of about a pound. Has I got older we use to either get a red bus on vicar lane station or ride on the bikes and go to Kirby Overblow on the wharfe - great for grayling.In the late 70's and early 80's we would often fish the basin near Leeds bridge at the back of the sea cadets, but by god it was hard fishing.    

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

gbdlufc wrote: I learnt to fish in Roundhay park with my dad and his mate, I remember it as if it was yesterday off the wall opposite the boats my 1st fish was a perch of about a pound. Has I got older we use to either get a red bus on vicar lane station or ride on the bikes and go to Kirby Overblow on the wharfe - great for grayling.In the late 70's and early 80's we would often fish the basin near Leeds bridge at the back of the sea cadets, but by god it was hard fishing.     me too funnily enough in roughly the exact spot with my old man my first fish was a bream.I didnt carry it on though but my old man did,he was always out fishing someplace or another.His fish of choice was pike.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

I started fishing in the fiftys my first fish was caught in a pond on the other side of the road from the jawbones at Rothwell i dont know if the pond is still there.I had a rod made from a bamboo stick with a wooden reel a bit of line and one float that was my compleat kit.I still fish when i get the chance my best fish was caught in the Leeds and Liverpool Canal this was a twenty pound pyke caught     not far from the City cente not on the bamboo pole i must add.    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I used to fish as a kid in the Needless damn (Scotchman Lane between Batley and Morley behind the pub) I never caught anything. I wondered why so I asked a fish. But his mate said "don't tell him Pike"I'll get mi coat.
Industria Omnia Vincit

book

Post by book »

There used to be fly fishing behind the pub in Rawdon, Billing Dam, a small fly fishery. I have just spotted a newish fly fishing venue in Swillington. Anyone know of any more fly fishing venues in Leeds?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

grumpytramp

Post by grumpytramp »

book wrote: Anyone know of any more fly fishing venues in Leeds? Absolutely no idea (but then I am a very lucky boy having the Devon, Earn, Tay, Tummel, Isla and Braan almost on my doorstep) ........ however as my angling career began 36 years ago on Waterloo Lake in Roundhay Park (like so many of us) I am hoping to catch an early morning cast there in the summer when passing through to see if I can pick up one of the trout that must still be there ;-)I understand that appart from a rod licence (an alien concept up here) that the fishing in Roundhay Park is free these days???

book

Post by book »

If its free and in the summer with all those school kids there you might not need a keep net! I think there might be trout in the lake but it's not fly fishing, it will be mainly pole.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

I started in the late 50's at Middleton Quarry with a bit of string and a worm for stickle backs.
Hunslet born and bread