Angling in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Armourys down to Gibraltar Island is free as far as I know. No I didnt eat them I left them to catch another day.
Hunslet born and bread

book

Post by book »

I have an old cane fly rod that's been restored and it has a badge on it saying Wade Street Leeds 2 Angling Supplies/Depot. Can anyone say approx when this shop closed? Must have been a long time ago.    
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

tilly

Post by tilly »

book wrote: tilly wrote: Last try, At last i think i will go and lay down. Nice fish, did you eat it? I caught three nice pike at Wetherby and ate them, it a nice fish to cook and tastes great. Hi book no it lived to tell the tale i would think it would be full of bones.Its not every one who likes pike because of the bones its great to see the river Aire is doing so good in Leeds must have a go sometime..
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

book wrote: Thanks stutter dog, I used to go to Swinsty and Fewston but as you say it's very expensive now, the other problem with those two waters is that the machines only take pound coins and the last time I was there it was about 14 pounds for the day. I'm going to look at the Swillington trout lake to see what he prices are like and to see if it will take a good cast I think the machines take credit cards. I caught a 8lb koi from Fewston last year. Saw it in the margins and quickly doctored one of my sarnies, and away it went. best fight of my life! I took a great many photos and slipped her back. As for the trout fishing? well, it's not what it used to be.
Come on Leeds United!

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

stutterdog wrote: Do any anglers on here know if the river Aire at Calverley Bridge nr Rodley holds any fish? I was walking over the footbridge round the back of the Railway Pub last year and I'm certain I saw someone fishing the river there. He had waders on so presume he was fly fishing. I saw an article on a website recently that said there was free fishing for 7miles on the Aire from Leeds centre towards Shipley.Anyone know if this is true and would that extend this far? The River Aire is the most abundant river in Yorkshire these days.Absolutely teaming with fish, including grayling, barbel, pike, perch, chub and a ton of trout. I have photos of some whopping browns (6lb+) that my cousins caught. There are many, many otters and kingfishers too on the river and, despite its past reputation it really is the best river around us......IMO
Come on Leeds United!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

On page 4 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (May 21 2014) it reports that Billing Dam "A 2.6 acre pond...Tucked away on the edge of Rawdon...stocked with trout, perch, bream carp and roach" is up for sale. The YEP mentions a price of £75,000, though I wonder if that is just a sale estimate.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Leodian wrote: On page 4 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (May 21 2014) it reports that Billing Dam "A 2.6 acre pond...Tucked away on the edge of Rawdon...stocked with trout, perch, bream carp and roach" is up for sale. The YEP mentions a price of £75,000, though I wonder if that is just a sale estimate. I fished this lake quite regularly some years ago now. The owner stocked it with Rainbow Trout and there was some large ones in there. I caught one of 12lb in 2003 which I think was about the last year it was open as that year was a very hot dry Summer. The lake had no aereation ,was overstocked so nearly all the fish died! I remember going up there later that year and seeing the dozens of dead fish all floating in one corner of the lake, a sad sight!
ex-Armley lad

Shadwellian

Re: Angling in Leeds

Post by Shadwellian »

Hi there, anyone know about which club owns the river wharfe in Collingham? I've looked online but couldn't find any info. I don't fancy fishing it illegally😂😂, and would like to do it legit. All the best shadwellian

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

If you go to the place you want to fish there is usually notices giving the information you want.
also the relevant ASA member publish a list of the sections of rivers they control.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Hi folks. Just a reminder to keep things on topic. The last few posts were taking a rather unpleasant tone.