Biplane Chapel?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
munki

Post by munki »

Does anyone know what this building used to be? In shape it looks like it was once a chapel, but the stained glass window over the door is of a biplane.
Attachments
Biplane chapel
Biplane chapel
Biplane Chapel 01.JPG (228.88 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy »

I always thought it was a chapel, haven't noticed the bi-plane. Possibly, as it is such a small building, it could be related to someone in its dedication... just a possibility.
www.jameslesterphotography.co.uk - Photography of hidden cities.

rikj

Post by rikj »

It's marked on old maps (circa 1906) as a school, but I'd also assumed it had been a chapel. A lot of sunday schools in Leeds did look like chapels though.I photographed a few "re-cycled" chapels last year i.e. those no longer used for worship. On blowing up the pic of this one it says over the door that it was erected in 1865. In other words quite a number of years before biplanes got off the ground!Doesn't answer the question of why the plane is there though.

munki

Post by munki »

Found this on www.leodis.net. The building is listed as Saint Augustine's National School, & still, in this picture, hasn't been rendered & whitewashed.The pic is dated 6th June 1913 (very specific) - by which time Biplanes might have been invented (my knowledge of aviation history is almost nil).The pic on Leodis is accompanied by a great dead budgie / dead neighbour story.
Attachments
274.jpg
274.jpg (48.1 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

1/4

Post by 1/4 »

I am pretty sure it was a chapel before it was refurbished into flats in 2001. The biplane would indicate RAF connections from WW1 or a dedication from a flying club I would guess. Biplane certainly would have existed in 1913 but would have been rare. It was not until well into the war that planes really emerged
1/4

munki

Post by munki »

See above - it was definitely a school in 1913!