Thrift Stores

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Chrism
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sun 20 Jan, 2008 8:26 am

Postby Chrism » Fri 01 May, 2009 2:26 pm

We've got some Thrift growing in our back garden. It tastes lovely too.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.
User avatar
chameleon
Site Admin
Posts: 5462
Joined: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:16 pm

Postby chameleon » Fri 01 May, 2009 6:30 pm

liits wrote: Wasn't there one on York Rd, on the parade of shops near the Melbourne pub? Indeed there was ;iits and on more in the old Seacroft Village for many years. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 9_27914065
User avatar
blackprince
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue 04 Sep, 2007 2:10 pm

Postby blackprince » Fri 01 May, 2009 7:39 pm

Trojan wrote: There was a Thrift Stores on South Queen Street in Morley, I wonder did they just cover Leeds and West Riding or were they a national company.BTW Thrift was pictured on the pre 1953 brass threepenny pieces         I'd forgotten what was depicted on the old threepenny bit. What was on the post 1953 coin?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!
User avatar
liits
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:24 am
Location: North London
Contact:

Postby liits » Fri 01 May, 2009 9:55 pm

There was a Gallons on Austhorpe Rd, Crossgates. Wasn't the full name "Gallons' Meddow Dairy"?    

User avatar
chameleon
Site Admin
Posts: 5462
Joined: Thu 29 Mar, 2007 6:16 pm

Postby chameleon » Fri 01 May, 2009 10:26 pm

liits wrote: There was a Gallons on Austhorpe Rd, Crossgates. Wasn't the full name "Gallons' Meddow Dairy"?     I can't visulise it, but wasn't there a Gallons as well as Thrift on the Foundry Lane parade?
drapesy
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 4:50 pm

Postby drapesy » Fri 01 May, 2009 10:42 pm

blackprince wrote: Trojan wrote: There was a Thrift Stores on South Queen Street in Morley, I wonder did they just cover Leeds and West Riding or were they a national company.BTW Thrift was pictured on the pre 1953 brass threepenny pieces         I'd forgotten what was depicted on the old threepenny bit. What was on the post 1953 coin? I think it was a sort of 'portcullis' affair
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.
Uno Hoo
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:04 pm

Postby Uno Hoo » Fri 01 May, 2009 11:26 pm

Gallons was a chain with a Head Office (or if not HQ, a major warehouse/distribution centre) in Brown Lane, Holbeck. I used to deliver there when I drove for Hanson Haulage, and it was a pig of a reversal to the loading bay. The building had been constructed in horse and cart days, so not designed for bulk deliveries in large vehicles.The other regional multiples of the period included John S. Driver, Jesse Stephenson, and Albert Hanson - "for all your butter & bacon".
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
BLAKEY
Posts: 2556
Joined: Mon 24 Mar, 2008 4:42 am

Postby BLAKEY » Fri 01 May, 2009 11:38 pm

Uno Hoo wrote: The other regional multiples of the period included John S. Driver, Jesse Stephenson, and Albert Hanson - "for all your butter & bacon". Hi Uno Hoo - let's not forget yet another chain of similar shops - "ALTHAMS." I may easily be wrong, but I have a feeling that when the vogue for these little shops began to wane Althams shrank into being just travel agents, unless that was another firm with the same somewhat unusual name ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Uno Hoo
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:04 pm

Postby Uno Hoo » Fri 01 May, 2009 11:52 pm

BLAKEY wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: The other regional multiples of the period included John S. Driver, Jesse Stephenson, and Albert Hanson - "for all your butter & bacon". Hi Uno Hoo - let's not forget yet another chain of similar shops - "ALTHAMS." I may easily be wrong, but I have a feeling that when the vogue for these little shops began to wane Althams shrank into being just travel agents, unless that was another firm with the same somewhat unusual name ?? Greetings to you too, BlakeyYou've caught me with your last posting, as I don't recall Althams at all, apart from the travel agency.I do remember Maypole Stores, though. ISTR a branch in Pudsey Lowtown. No doubt some of the Pudseyites will either confirm or else tell me I'm dreaming, which I probably am.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
Uno Hoo
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:04 pm

Postby Uno Hoo » Sat 02 May, 2009 12:00 am

Memories of Jesse Stephenson are of his Rolls-Royce, two-tone midnight blue and cream - very impressive. My grandparents lived on Priesthorpe Road in Farsley, and Jesse lived a good bit further up - and in a somewhat different sort of house - so I saw the car quite often.My sister got a temporary school holiday job in his bakery in New Street, Farsley. The building later became the Tradex Warehouse. She always warned against eating Stephenson apple pies, as their baker didn't make much use of his handkerchief with the result that not all the apple was apple. I suppose I'd better say "allegedly" in true Private Eye fashion here, altho' dead men can't sue!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 14 guests