Thrift Stores

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Allders sort of ran off Lewis's (sadly missed).In relation to more modern 'thrift' stores, there's a lot of positive press about Aldi & Lidl. Hard to tell em apart. Seem to have wholly british meats. I browse there during the week 'tween main Asda shop.Lidl's FAVORINA Gingerbread Hearts with Apricot, coated in Dark Chocolate are moorish, esp taken with a coffee and Woods Navy Rum.To keep up apperances, if I do shop at Lidl I make sure to take an Aldi carrier bag. Or was that a Lidl bag at Aldi?    

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Derculees wrote: I also waited for many a bus at Kirkstall. I'm sure the Thrift store was taken over by Hirst or (Hurst) & Sandler at some point. I also remember 'Jacksons' on Otley Road Headingley, their bilberry tarts with cream on top were gorgeous. Don't know if their shop was a one off or a chain. Jackson's was part of the Hull and East Yorkshire group of bakery and general grocery stores - I believe it was fully titled "Wm. Jackson and Sons" or something similar.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Jogon wrote: Allders sort of ran off Lewis's (sadly missed).In relation to more modern 'thrift' stores, there's a lot of positive press about Aldi & Lidl. Hard to tell em apart. Seem to have wholly british meats. I browse there during the week 'tween main Asda shop.Lidl's FAVORINA Gingerbread Hearts with Apricot, coated in Dark Chocolate are moorish, esp taken with a coffee and Woods Navy Rum.To keep up apperances, if I do shop at Lidl I make sure to take an Aldi carrier bag. Or was that a Lidl bag at Aldi?     Oooh you little mixer jogon.....talking about discount stores-anybody remember Thoms(think up York Rd somewhere/Seacroft ?).....I applied for a job there back in the 70's but they decided my talents may be best utilised elsewhere Still got the "Dear John" somewhere at home.....will have to dig it out.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

simong

Post by simong »

BLAKEY wrote: Jackson's was part of the Hull and East Yorkshire group of bakery and general grocery stores - I believe it was fully titled "Wm. Jackson and Sons" or something similar. That's them. They were bakers in Hull (edit) and started the Grandways supermarket chain in the 1960s. In the early 90s they sold some off and converted others into convenience stores under the Jacksons name. The shops were sold to Sainsburys in about 2005 and rebadged first as Sainsbury's at Jackson's and then as Sainsbury's Locals.    

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

@Jogon: Pretty sure this a Thrift Store late 1960's, junction Gledhow Ave/Gled. Wood Avehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/ikbrunels/3886887335/

caralyn

Post by caralyn »

[quotenick="dervish99"]Hi my dad used to a manager at the Thrift store in Horsforth during the 70's.Was the Horsforth Thrift Store at the top of Station Road? If so, I think it had replaced The Abbey Stores. In the 60s we lived just over the railway line in Woodhill Crescent Cookridge, and I remember my Mam having a little Abbey Book, where she would write her order each week. I can't recall how the book was collected, but the goods were delivered by bicycle. Speaking of deliveries, our milk came from Ingam's Dairy, (Dean Grange Farm); the Corona pop man came round once a week; although not strictly a delivery, the rag and bone man on his horse and cart was a regular - and indeed, my parents bought my first bike from him; the Co-op sent a walk-in-van where you earned your 'divvy' by quoting your number; I think there was a greengrocer's horse and cart too - but best of all was Rossi's ice cream on Sunday afternoons... and on a good week, the chimes meant that I would be sent out with a bowl for, I think, a shilling's worth of ice cream (there were six of us).    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Brunel wrote: @Jogon: Pretty sure this a Thrift Store late 1960's, junction Gledhow Ave/Gled. Wood Avehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/ikbrunels/3886887335/ NOTEThe google streetview I posted yesterday 10.10.12 09.22hr (above) has now completely changed. The shuttered shop is now a house.http://goo.gl/maps/MLN6F    

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Thanks for the updates, Drapesy and Blakey, re Hurst & Sandler and Jackson's. I was a (touch forelock) tied cottage, gardner for Mr D. Hurstfor a number of very enjoyable years at Brandon Hall, Tarn Lane. 3 acres of garden! and 2 ache'rs of my own. I was in the Fire service at the time and needed a place to live, due to split with 1st wife, ahem, had to swat up on gardening before applying for the job and got it.I must applaud the forum's members for their thoroughness in posting interesting and detailed information.
Touch not but the glove

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Image of Thrift Store, Upper Town Street, Bramley c.1959
Attachments
__TFMF_ijtf2p554g3sqr45zd2xbi45_3f11eda2-583e-4ae6-95a8-2cc0fbd58cae_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ijtf2p554g3sqr45zd2xbi45_3f11eda2-583e-4ae6-95a8-2cc0fbd58cae_0_main.jpg (51.77 KiB) Viewed 3591 times

Falcon66

Re: Thrift Stores

Post by Falcon66 »

I was a delivery driver with thrift from 63 to 69 I covered south Yorkshire area including Thorne and langold also Scunthorpe a wide area. I had a van which every weekday morning except Monday I met up with a larger lorry from.leeds which carried my food and goods for me to deliver. I went to.leeds at kirkstall only on a Monday
Good memories of all the shop staff I came into contact with .. happy memories ....