Fearnville House on Dibb Lane

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

Hi everyone,Not been on for a while, hope everyone is ok and had a good Easter. I was just wondering if anyone had heard or seen anything to do with Fearnville House? If so, i would love to hear about it if anyone doesnt mind. Hopefully i will be through to Leeds soon, im worried that they will pull the house down or alter it before i get to see it!Take care everyone,Tracy x
If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Welcome back, glad you've not forgotten us

cakeisyummy7

Post by cakeisyummy7 »

Hi chameleon,Nice to be back! )
If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!

waynesworld

Post by waynesworld »

Have just heard that Fearnville House has been sold again and that the new owners will be applying for planning to turn it onto a nursing home. It originally was closed down in the early 90's due to subsidence , so i am guessing that a lot of money will have to be spet on it. Apparently there was a very grand staircase in it , but unfortunately was badly damaged by vandals. It is a local resident who has bought it so hopefully , he will look after it. Cheers WW.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

waynesworld wrote: Have just heard that Fearnville House has been sold again and that the new owners will be applying for planning to turn it onto a nursing home. It originally was closed down in the early 90's due to subsidence , so i am guessing that a lot of money will have to be spet on it. Apparently there was a very grand staircase in it , but unfortunately was badly damaged by vandals. It is a local resident who has bought it so hopefully , he will look after it. Cheers WW. Nice to think it will be regenerated - let's hope that this doesn't involve wholesaly slaughter of the existing building as so often seems to happen in the name of 'restoration'Want to test the upload, this seems oportune.    
Attachments
__TFMF_pwicrdbpowctw530vdisuf55_cf96f8eb-6da5-4039-97da-fee417e48fae_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pwicrdbpowctw530vdisuf55_cf96f8eb-6da5-4039-97da-fee417e48fae_0_main.jpg (135.09 KiB) Viewed 6424 times

waynesworld

Post by waynesworld »

Yes apparently , he is willing to spend a lot of money on it and return it to something like whilst still operating as a business , planning dependant of course.Not sure what you mean by the upload ?????? Cheers WW

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

waynesworld wrote: Yes apparently , he is willing to spend a lot of money on it and return it to something like whilst still operating as a business , planning dependant of course.Not sure what you mean by the upload ?????? Cheers WW Semi-enforced change to IE8 this weekend, wanted to be sure it didn't stop pics going on

waynesworld

Post by waynesworld »

Found this info in an old cutting from 1991 - Fearnville House was built in 1820 by a Leeds Merchant who wanted to live more rurally.Originally there was a lodge (the gate postsare still to be seen)and nursery.In 1861 it was the home of Louis Oxley and 11 years later of William Middleton JP.This century saw the Ralphes living there. When the land was sold in the 1950's the house was converted into flats although still retaining a splendid pillared porch on the front and a fine staircase inside.A nice potted history of Fearnville House.

setters

Post by setters »

Hello to all,i've been reading all the thread's on s/l. for about six months now, Thaught i should register. I'm enjoying the debate on 'Fearnville house' or 'the Grange'.I have spotted a house on Harehills Lane, opposite Potternewton park called 'Fearnville' The house nextdoor is called 'ivy dene'.Google Earth co-ordinates are: 53 49'17.31"N 1 31'21.91"WYou can see the house on streetview, number 87. but unfortunatley can't make out the word fearnville. it's carved into a stone lintel above the door. I'm just wondering could this possibly be reclaimed stone. I just hope i'm not wrong about this! I can't put pictures on here yet but as soon as i've figured it out i'll get one on. Thanks.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

setters wrote: Hello to all,i've been reading all the thread's on s/l. for about six months now, Thaught i should register. I'm enjoying the debate on 'Fearnville house' or 'the Grange'.I have spotted a house on Harehills Lane, opposite Potternewton park called 'Fearnville' The house nextdoor is called 'ivy dene'.Google Earth co-ordinates are: 53 49'17.31"N 1 31'21.91"WYou can see the house on streetview, number 87. but unfortunatley can't make out the word fearnville. it's carved into a stone lintel above the door. I'm just wondering could this possibly be reclaimed stone. I just hope i'm not wrong about this! I can't put pictures on here yet but as soon as i've figured it out i'll get one on. Thanks. Setters - putting up a picture is a bit daunting when you first look at it, not really that bad though. Have a look at the last post in this thread:http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... =137Should take you through it bit by bit. After you've done a couple, it gets easy