LGI

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Just been searching for information about those ship's deck style balconies at the bottom end of the LGI. It seems they were originally designed for open air therapy [before traffic fumes!] Has anyone ever been out on one of these balconies? There must be a good view from the top one.On a side note, I was interested to read that there had been a winter gardens in the original building.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Geordie-exile wrote: Just been searching for information about those ship's deck style balconies at the bottom end of the LGI. It seems they were originally designed for open air therapy [before traffic fumes!] Has anyone ever been out on one of these balconies? There must be a good view from the top one.On a side note, I was interested to read that there had been a winter gardens in the original building. I don't ever remember seeing them in use and I attended LGI regularly in the early fifties. My mam always called that the "Brotherton Wing" and said that they were verandas for use by private patients - how true that was I don't know.
Industria Omnia Vincit

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

I think those 'winter gardens' might well be area that was called for many years the 'sunshine floor'.This was at the top of the Gilbert Scott part of the site, and had the roof glazed instead of tiled - results was that even in the slightest of bright weather is became rather warm, like being in a greenhouse.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

There are a number of pictures along with info on Leodis, just search for Brotherton WingGood Hunting
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Gurt great balls of fire! GRRRRRR! I had just typed three paragraphsabout my Brotherton Wing experiences when I had an email arrived.Forgot to post on the thread or savethis, so Back to SQ1!!Can't understand why a 'pending' msge doesn't 'stay put' inthe panel if you need to do summat else before sending it??Earwigo agen.My experience of Brotherton wing (and B floor) LGI.They still carry 'Brotherton Wing' in the headings onAppointment notifications. I Attended the Hearing and Balancecentre on the ground floor on George St and also the consultant's(ENT) suite on B floor. The waiting area for 'Himself', was out on thebalcony,which was enclosed and commanded a good view ofthe Town Hall area and part of Millennium square and CalverleyStreet. I've since received my Hearing aids which are animprovement but I still can't get my balance after 2 bottles of Morrison's Best! Well,it IS 6%abv!The whole wing,viewed from George St end always remindsme of an Art Neuvau Cruise Liner! (Ercule Poirot vintage!).When it was all 'Private' the balconies were called 'Solariums'and beds were moved out into the fresh(?) air and sunshine. I believe the wing end is South facing?After the NHS took it over, some of the upper wards werestill retained for private patients. My late aunt was admittedto the NHS bit for a toe operation and her neighbours all thoughtshe'd 'gone private' when she said she'd been in Brotherton!I seem to remember a nice 'outside' garden somewhere next toMartin Wing. It was inside the main Infirmary complex. It was very pleasant and quiet.Think that's all I can say on Brotherton Wing.Hope it Helps, G.E!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I remember when the big red sign saying 'QUIET, HOSPITAL' was on the 'stern' (he he he) of the hospital. I also remember seeing patients sat out on the 'decks'.While we're on with the LGI if you're passing have a very close look at the wall starting at the bottom and working up to the Brotherton wing entrance. With all the erosion over the years old shells and other very ancient sea life can be seen jutting out of the portland stone. It very interesting!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

All very interesting, thanks all!Arry I can just see you out there on the top balcony, arms outstretched like whatdyoucall'er on Titanic.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Yes, I remember the (neon?) sign - it said "Hospital quiet please" - "Hospital" was in red and "quiet please" were in green, I think. I also remember people sitting out on the balconies in the 1960s.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Chrism wrote: I remember when the big red sign saying 'QUIET, HOSPITAL' was on the 'stern' (he he he) of the hospital. I also remember seeing patients sat out on the 'decks'.While we're on with the LGI if you're passing have a very close look at the wall starting at the bottom and working up to the Brotherton wing entrance. With all the erosion over the years old shells and other very ancient sea life can be seen jutting out of the portland stone. It very interesting! Maybe someone could get some photo's!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Are you suggesting I resemble the 'Angel of the Norft' then?If I look like 'Er on<h>Titanic,I'll efta stop keepin' me specscase in me shirt pokkit under me ganzie! Cheeky!(I hope you meant Leonardo Di Caprio!!!)