A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Nice one Lee
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I would date that pic after 68/69 as the first time Jim Windsor is listed in the phone book as been at 3 Crown Street is in 1970

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Si wrote: Great find, Lee. Taken in the 60s I'd guess, so long after the Crown and Fleece closed, but they do show how the now demolished building (to the right of the first pic) abutted the pub, and the entrance to the skulls ginnel leading to Kirkgate. I noticed that the fifth comment on the pictures mentions the skulls. I noticed that comment too - who's gonna put a link to this thread? lol

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Croggy1 wrote: I noticed that comment too - who's gonna put a link to this thread? lol Done
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

double post

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Why can't I comment on the photo on Facebook?Is it because the group owner switched off my rights cos I said that some pics were ripped from Leodis without a reference

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

This thread has been split in two in the interests of user convenience and website performance. You can read Part Two here: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... eadID=4685
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Rover

Re: A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part

Post by Rover »

Thank you for the historical and very interesting pictures of "old-Leeds".

jihfadiuh

Re: A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Post by jihfadiuh »

dont know if this has already been mentioned as there are so many pages but i came across this - Notes on the parish church (Barwick) - The Venerable Bede refers to a "monastery of the most reverend abbat and priest Thridwulf, which is in Elmet Wood " (Eccl. Hist., ii, cap. xiv). Some have thought that this was at Barwick, and according to a local tradition the site was marked by yew trees at Potterton, which were felled a few years ago. But we cannot speak with any certainty.

Go to oldmaps and look at the map for Barwick - 1845 - 1847 , drag the map to potterton and manor garth wood - just to the left and below (or within) manor garth wood it is marked 'Yew' could this be the site of this monastery? i would upload the photo but am at work and wouldnt know how to do that anyway.

jihfadiuh

Re: A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Post by jihfadiuh »

well ive just found some more - go to pastscape.org.uk , monument number - 54569. the description reads: Alleged moat and other earthworks, and traditional site of a monastery founded by Abbot Thrydwulf circa 730, and a seventh century fortification. Earthworks at the traditional site appear to be the result of quarrying, and no clear evidence of enclosures or buildings are visible. Three stone coffins and a stone axe have been found in the area.
PARISH: BARWICK IN ELMET AND SCHOLES

Think ive found your monastery!