A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jf

Post by jf »

From what I understand, they're going to rebuild the Cloth Hall, retaining or replacing as much as they can save. I suspect it will have an exterior similar to the original, but inside will be more modern and functional.I think it would be a good place to put the shops that used to be in the Corn Exchange, though the amount of investment required will probably mean they'll be after higher-paying tenants.There's part of the story here:http://www.leedscivictrust.org.uk/news0 ... th.htmNote this dates from 2005 and there's been no sign of any movement since.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yes I was looking at that article too. It's one of those Leeds stories that hits the papers every 5 years and nothing ever happens. I was just thinking the old Cloth hall withstood the Great Quake of Leeds. Surely it deserves to be restored for that alone? Nothings ever impossible. Cost factors count here!    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

jf wrote: From what I understand, they're going to rebuild the Cloth Hall, retaining or replacing as much as they can save. I suspect it will have an exterior similar to the original, but inside will be more modern and functional.I think it would be a good place to put the shops that used to be in the Corn Exchange, though the amount of investment required will probably mean they'll be after higher-paying tenants.There's part of the story here:http://www.leedscivictrust.org.uk/news0 ... th.htmNote this dates from 2005 and there's been no sign of any movement since. Your absolutely right jf.We have been here before on an other thread relating to the White Cloth Hall court.Its the ideal place for such shops,and im sure that the crappy car park behind these shops could be utilised better,some sort of speciality market for instance,and also used on an evening as some sort of outdoor eating area for some of the shops on Kirkgate,some of which could be restaurants.This could also lead to the reopening of the blocked off alleyway on Kirkgate that led through to the old Wallace Arnold bus yard,and then on to the Corn Exchange,thus dding a bit more vibe to the area with improved connectivity.The company supposedly behind this venture is called EMCO,they are based on New Yorks Street.They have no apparent website/email,which seems very odd for this day and age.I hope they are not Alnagers eh Phil?Even the civic trust are resigned    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

simonm wrote: I remember a co-op type shop there back in the 70's. We used to catch the bus home there and I'm pretty sure of such a shop.     Funnily enough, thats where we used to get off the bus when we came into town (number 16).I bet you were one of those awkward buggers trying to get on before we got off!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

And again cnosni - over and over again we see this, with promises of movement in the near future accepted by the powers to be, only to find nothing happens and we are back at square one after another year or two - and the poor building a further two years the worse for wear.In the end they befall to demolition or so little salvagable or 'the costs' so high that to be viable, the minimum possible to survive the listing status is retained and hidden or over sahdowed by the newer surrounds.Just hope this company is not a simple venture capital concern, minimum in to get the maximum guaranteed out.

simonm

Post by simonm »

raveydavey wrote: simonm wrote: I remember a co-op type shop there back in the 70's. We used to catch the bus home there and I'm pretty sure of such a shop.     Funnily enough, thats where we used to get off the bus when we came into town (number 16).I bet you were one of those awkward buggers trying to get on before we got off! Aye, we were no 16 on t'other direction. shouldv'e got off quicker then!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

munki

Post by munki »

The Wedding Present - 'Thanks'I bumped into Joe on Victoria RoadAnd he told me somethingAbout last weekend, he knows your new boyfriendHe said he saw it coming
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

Watching the people get lairyIs not very pretty I tell theeWalking through town is quite scaryAnd not very sensible
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Welcome back munki
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Is the last one a 'name that tune'? lolThe Kaiser Chiefs, of course...