A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

raveydavey wrote: Nice pics phill, as always.This is a neglected but busy corner of the city centre and that building has been boarded and scaffolded up for as long as I can remember - I get my hair cut a couple of doors along at The Edge (highly recommended!)It's a shame such a historic building has been allowed to decay to the point it is in now. I wonder who owns it now?I can remember a good few years ago (at least 10) that plans were afoot to regarenrate the whole area including that building and hoardings were put up with artistic impressions of how it would look but it came to nothing in the end. I seem to remember it been like this for 20 years at least. Can anyone remember the shops been open? I seem to recall there been a hardware shop around that area. That must be 30 years ago though.    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chameleon wrote: raveydavey wrote: Nice pics phill, as always.This is a neglected but busy corner of the city centre and that building has been boarded and scaffolded up for as long as I can remember - I get my hair cut a couple of doors along at The Edge (highly recommended!)It's a shame such a historic building has been allowed to decay to the point it is in now. I wonder who owns it now?I can remember a good few years ago (at least 10) that plans were afoot to regarenrate the whole area including that building and hoardings were put up with artistic impressions of how it would look but it came to nothing in the end. I remember reading somewhere (might even have been here) that the Hall is now beyond redemption but that plans included the plans recreating the Hall within the new development so that its presence was not completely lost.Not the same as the real thing, but an unusual and laudible move by the Developer perhaps. The plans also include the renovation of all of this end of kirkgate,so it gets my backing.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_d wrote: Thanks there Chameleon. Yes this 'official permission' and awareness to the benefits of letting people see these places for a one off visit, are something I've been working very hard with some property owners on. The amount of interest generated is amazing. I try to document the places in an interesting way to show that it would be to the general public's interest to have this material available for others to see. The better credibility you get has started to open more doors for us which is good as It means less obstacles for us lol We've even got some disclaimer forms now regarding H&S issues we hope will sway a few people unsure of a visit. A lot of people are very helpful & we have a few good projects in the pipeline. All except that Town Centre Securities regarding the Merrion Centre Odeon. I can't belief there negativity              Thanks Phill - people don't always see or realise the positive attributes of what you do - this seemed like a good example of that to show to others.As far as the Cloth Hall goes, I've been around a (little!) few years more than you but although the parade must have been in use, my earliest memory is of closed-up frontages and then the scaffold to stop it falling down.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: This ones especially for Simonn. I know he'll love this!!A very old Manchester establishment is once again proudly on display in Leeds. I'd be interested to hear if anyone can recall what this shop sold and was called.     Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!Nearly bust a gonad at this one,dont mention Manchester to Simonm,he goes all funny since the "Sams"incident.Bet you cant get in the courtyard of the White Hall Phil,second thoughts,dont do it,i wont have a witness to the secret!!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

cnosni wrote: Phill_d wrote: This ones especially for Simonn. I know he'll love this!!A very old Manchester establishment is once again proudly on display in Leeds. I'd be interested to hear if anyone can recall what this shop sold and was called.     Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!Nearly bust a gonad at this one,dont mention Manchester to Simonm,he goes all funny since the "Sams"incident.Bet you cant get in the courtyard of the White Hall Phil,second thoughts,dont do it,i wont have a witness to the secret!!! Mate if your thinking the same thing as me about the White cloth hall playing an important part in 'The project'? Men in black coats and all that!! Shhhh         
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

jf

Post by jf »

I think the bottom end of Kirkgate could be done out very nicely, retaining character, independent shops perhaps with people living above the shops, a bit like Brighton. I'm not hopeful of something like this happening, developers will just be looking to squeeze as much revenue out of it as possible (subject to planning constraints)Have you got into Lambert's Yard yet Phil? I was lucky to get a visit during the Civic Society's Briggate tours - that's equally historic and also very run down. There's a lot of potential for characterful development of these historic yards, but so few have actually been utilised for anything other than bin storage.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

No I've not been down Lamberts yard yet mate. I'm think there could be a good project to do about the Leeds yards tho. I know my mate csnosi has a few ideas too     

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

great work phil, sure would be nice to have a look around in there mate eh?its a real shame looking at one of leeds most important buildings standing there looking sad and redundant (a bit like me lol) anyhow thanks once again for this phil nice one.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Once again Phill, cracking job. On the Idea that the old cloth hall maybe demolished, is there not a group or such like to stop this? If not, there should be. This is the heritage of one of the UK's biggest cities. This should be preserved, even if just the exterior, for many years to come, instead of the demolition and rebuilding of souless block boxes, as is the fashion at the moment... Surely summat could be done??    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

hahahaha, only just seen the ref to the scu... Manchester ref.. I remember a co-op type shop there back in the 70's. We used to catch the bus home there and I'm pretty sure of such a shop.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"