Majestic Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Dave Mruk

Post by Dave Mruk »

Thanks LiitsI thought that would probably be the case. Summat to do with the 1968 Gaming Act I should think...and it's trivia like this that brightens up an otherwise dull Sunday afternoon.
Researching the men of the 10th West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War. Ca Ira!

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

The Majestic went over to Bingo in 1969, last film was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. The Odeon was twinned at this time which is why the Majestic closed for films. Me mum has mentioned in the past that she went to see the Sound of Music here and that is was shown for about 3 to 4 years after release. Can anyone confirm this at all?

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

edgey2001 wrote: The Majestic went over to Bingo in 1969, last film was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. The Odeon was twinned at this time which is why the Majestic closed for films. Me mum has mentioned in the past that she went to see the Sound of Music here and that is was shown for about 3 to 4 years after release. Can anyone confirm this at all? Yes, I think I can. at least I remember the posters being outside for a very long time.Just as I remember the adverts for "The Parent Trap" (Hayley Mills, Ca. 1961) being shown for months before the "Clock" closed on Roundhay Rd.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

edgey2001 wrote: The Majestic went over to Bingo in 1969, last film was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. The Odeon was twinned at this time which is why the Majestic closed for films. Me mum has mentioned in the past that she went to see the Sound of Music here and that is was shown for about 3 to 4 years after release. Can anyone confirm this at all? The Sound of Music was certainly on at the Majetic for a hell of a long time - as was Lawrence of Arabia, South Pacific and Oliver! Workmates of mine in the sixties used to try and outdo one another with the number of times they'd seen it -7-8-9 even 10. I saw it once at the Odeon in St Helier Jersey - that was enough for me. I saw South Pacific at the Majestic - it was in some new system called Todd A O and there was an acompanying film showing examples of the realistic effects of this system. One of which was on a roller coaster - I must admit it certainly seemed realistic.I didn't realise that the Majestic had closed when the Odeon was twinned - didn't know they were part of the same group.    
Industria Omnia Vincit

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

I'll dig out the paragraph in a book I've got, during the 50's and 60's many of the Cinema chains were swallowed up by the bigger chains and from what I've read, Rank took over the Odeon chain when Oscar Deutch died. Rank eventually ran the Majestic and decided it wasnt viable to keep open 2 large 1st run cinemas in such close proximity so it turned it in Bingo.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

edgey2001 wrote: I'll dig out the paragraph in a book I've got, during the 50's and 60's many of the Cinema chains were swallowed up by the bigger chains and from what I've read, Rank took over the Odeon chain when Oscar Deutch died. Rank eventually ran the Majestic and decided it wasnt viable to keep open 2 large 1st run cinemas in such close proximity so it turned it in Bingo. Oscar Deutch Entertains Our Nation was said to be what Odeon stood for. In the fifties as I've posted elsewhere there was a cinema in Leeds called the Scala which always showed the same film as the Majestic but in less luxurious surroundings - the advert in the paper always said "Scala and Majestic"
Industria Omnia Vincit

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Yes yes but what about the statues?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Geordie-exile wrote: Yes yes but what about the statues? (They're not on the Headrow )    

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Geordie-exile wrote: Yes yes but what about the statues? They'll be in someones garden somewhere.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Thought I'd revive this and see if any of our newer contributors have any ideas. I've found a little bit more information myself, and description of the architecture which includes a mention of the balcony statues. http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Detai ... &id=465928