Majestic Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

1964 gone!
Attachments
__TFMF_qpog5m554n1wnn55xvehqzvk_2243c00c-1bbc-46cd-9577-ecffa74e0613_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_qpog5m554n1wnn55xvehqzvk_2243c00c-1bbc-46cd-9577-ecffa74e0613_0_main.jpg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 1746 times

String o' beads

I still want to know where the figures went! Perhaps they hacked the faces off two of them and stuck them on a plinth off Kirkgate...

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Geordie-exile wrote: I still want to know where the figures went! Perhaps they hacked the faces off two of them and stuck them on a plinth off Kirkgate... To Victoria Gardens on the Headrow. It is the War Memorial and moved there around 1937 I think it was. (It wouldn't actually show in your '56 picture if it were still there - it looks as though the shot cuts-off too far to the right of where it used to stand).

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

chameleon wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: I still want to know where the figures went! Perhaps they hacked the faces off two of them and stuck them on a plinth off Kirkgate... To Victoria Gardens on the Headrow. It is the War Memorial and moved there around 1937 I think it was. (It wouldn't actually show in your '56 picture if it were still there - it looks as though the shot cuts-off too far to the right of where it used to stand). Chameleon - I think you're misunderstanding which figures are meant- I believe Geordie-exile's original post is referring to the figures on the Majestic balcony - not the war memorial(which as you say has been moved to the Headrow) You can see the figures (2) on the original 1932 shot and one of them on the 1956 pic.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

drapesy wrote: chameleon wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: I still want to know where the figures went! Perhaps they hacked the faces off two of them and stuck them on a plinth off Kirkgate... To Victoria Gardens on the Headrow. It is the War Memorial and moved there around 1937 I think it was. (It wouldn't actually show in your '56 picture if it were still there - it looks as though the shot cuts-off too far to the right of where it used to stand). Chameleon - I think you're misunderstanding which figures are meant- I believe Geordie-exile's original post is referring to the figures on the Majestic balcony - not the war memorial(which as you say has been moved to the Headrow) You can see the figures (2) on the original 1932 shot and one of them on the 1956 pic.     .....Well, that would explain why the 56 shot without it was said to include them! No thinking about it - got it wrong, must be to do with having just having seen the passing of another year in my lifeSo in that case Geordie it's quite clear. Haven't a clue

String o' beads

Yep, thanks drapesy, it's the figures atop the balcony I'm after. They appear to have disappeared [can one say that?] between the 1956 and 1964 photos.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Actually, have you walked past the place recently? Water pouring from every ledge and crevice as the snow melts, blocked and leaking fall pipes, hope the interior is fairing better without any maintenance.

String o' beads

Until about a year ago I walked under that soggy mess of a canopy every day for three years to and from work. Even when it's dry it drips.And at 06:15, when I passed, there was always a tramp in the fire exit on Wellington Street.    

Dave Mruk

Post by Dave Mruk »

A number of Gaming Acts were passed in the 1960s. The Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act [1963] was one. I don't know if this covered bingo, but when did the Top Rank Bingo Hall open? I can only remember the building from the early Seventies. Part of the renovation perhaps?
Researching the men of the 10th West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War. Ca Ira!

liits

Post by liits »

Dave Mruk wrote: A number of Gaming Acts were passed in the 1960s. The Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act [1963] was one. I don't know if this covered bingo, but when did the Top Rank Bingo Hall open? I can only remember the building from the early Seventies. Part of the renovation perhaps? The Betting, Gaming & Lotteries Act 2005 replaced the act of the same name for 1963. Bingo, as played in Working Men’s Clubs Community Centres or by “Owd Lasses” on coaches etc, only becomes a licensable activity [and falls within the scope of the Act] if the income for the operator exceeds £2000 in any one game or set of games or taken over a seven day period. The prizes exceed £2000 paid out for any one game or set of games or paid out in any seven day period. Sad, some of the trivia you pick up…….