Old Leeds Firms

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Caron

Post by Caron »

My father was an engineer. Greenwoods and Batley (s) rings a bell and George Mann (s). He also worked at Kirkstall forge. Nowadays he would be on a very good wage.Is Yorkshire Switchgear in Meanwood still on the go? My step dad worked there all his life and NEVER had a day off sick!!!

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Caron wrote: My father was an engineer. Greenwoods and Batley (s) rings a bell and George Mann (s). He also worked at Kirkstall forge. Nowadays he would be on a very good wage.Is Yorkshire Switchgear in Meanwood still on the go? My step dad worked there all his life and NEVER had a day off sick!!! Marston Excelsior on Armley Rd would figure as an old leeds firm.The building which was built in 1938 I think is now closed and for sale .I worked their from 1957 to 1973.When I joined as a sheet metal workers apprentice it was part of the Metals Division of ICI. It later became Marston Radiators when ICI sold off the Metals Division and it became part of Imperial Metal Industries(IMI).Yorkshire Copperworks were part of the same group.I googled Marston Excelsior some time ago and was surprised to find an old ad from the early 60's showing a radiator that was made there for the BRM racing car which was to be driven by Stirling Moss.The raiator was mad entirely of aluminium .I helped on this,making the side members. On a different note ,my late Mother drove an overhead crane at Wilson Mathiason's during the war.I think she lifted large calibre shells.
ex-Armley lad

Caron

Post by Caron »

stutterdog wrote: Caron wrote: My father was an engineer. Greenwoods and Batley (s) rings a bell and George Mann (s). He also worked at Kirkstall forge. Nowadays he would be on a very good wage.Is Yorkshire Switchgear in Meanwood still on the go? My step dad worked there all his life and NEVER had a day off sick!!! Marston Excelsior on Armley Rd would figure as an old leeds firm.The building which was built in 1938 I think is now closed and for sale .I worked their from 1957 to 1973.When I joined as a sheet metal workers apprentice it was part of the Metals Division of ICI. It later became Marston Radiators when ICI sold off the Metals Division and it became part of Imperial Metal Industries(IMI).Yorkshire Copperworks were part of the same group.I googled Marston Excelsior some time ago and was surprised to find an old ad from the early 60's showing a radiator that was made there for the BRM racing car which was to be driven by Stirling Moss.The raiator was mad entirely of aluminium .I helped on this,making the side members. On a different note ,my late Mother drove an overhead crane at Wilson Mathiason's during the war.I think she lifted large calibre shells. Quite a claim to fame, Stutterdog I'd be wanting a copy of the ad so I could frame it and boast to folk.It was another world back then (or so it seems to me).Your mother's job using a crane and my nana's job as a welder.....we have a lot to thank the older generation for. Bless 'em all

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Caron wrote: stutterdog wrote: Caron wrote: My father was an engineer. Greenwoods and Batley (s) rings a bell and George Mann (s). He also worked at Kirkstall forge. Nowadays he would be on a very good wage.Is Yorkshire Switchgear in Meanwood still on the go? My step dad worked there all his life and NEVER had a day off sick!!! Marston Excelsior on Armley Rd would figure as an old leeds firm.The building which was built in 1938 I think is now closed and for sale .I worked their from 1957 to 1973.When I joined as a sheet metal workers apprentice it was part of the Metals Division of ICI. It later became Marston Radiators when ICI sold off the Metals Division and it became part of Imperial Metal Industries(IMI).Yorkshire Copperworks were part of the same group.I googled Marston Excelsior some time ago and was surprised to find an old ad from the early 60's showing a radiator that was made there for the BRM racing car which was to be driven by Stirling Moss.The raiator was mad entirely of aluminium .I helped on this,making the side members. On a different note ,my late Mother drove an overhead crane at Wilson Mathiason's during the war.I think she lifted large calibre shells. Quite a claim to fame, Stutterdog I'd be wanting a copy of the ad so I could frame it and boast to folk.It was another world back then (or so it seems to me).Your mother's job using a crane and my nana's job as a welder.....we have a lot to thank the older generation for. Bless 'em all Your so right. What would we have done without the lady's doing mens jobs during the war eh?
ex-Armley lad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Wasn't there a pickle factory by Amen Corner on the Canal at Armley. Or did I dream that?

Caron

Post by Caron »

Jogon wrote: Wasn't there a pickle factory by Amen Corner on the Canal at Armley. Or did I dream that? Yes..I remember it and the smell.I seem to think it was APX or something like that?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Caron wrote: Jogon wrote: Wasn't there a pickle factory by Amen Corner on the Canal at Armley. Or did I dream that? Yes..I remember it and the smell.I seem to think it was APX or something like that? I think you are right Caron it was the first building on the left after the bridge heading towards the lights.Im shure it was APX a well known brand i wonder if they are still around?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

tilly wrote: Caron wrote: Jogon wrote: Wasn't there a pickle factory by Amen Corner on the Canal at Armley. Or did I dream that? Yes..I remember it and the smell.I seem to think it was APX or something like that? I think you are right Caron it was the first building on the left after the bridge heading towards the lights.Im shure it was APX a well known brand i wonder if they are still around? http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... essage=325

tilly

Post by tilly »

majorhoundii wrote: tilly wrote: Caron wrote: Jogon wrote: Wasn't there a pickle factory by Amen Corner on the Canal at Armley. Or did I dream that? Yes..I remember it and the smell.I seem to think it was APX or something like that? I think you are right Caron it was the first building on the left after the bridge heading towards the lights.Im shure it was APX a well known brand i wonder if they are still around? http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... essage=325 Thanks for the post majorhoundy.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Caron

Post by Caron »

tilly wrote: majorhoundii wrote: tilly wrote: Caron wrote: Jogon wrote: Wasn't there a pickle factory by Amen Corner on the Canal at Armley. Or did I dream that? Yes..I remember it and the smell.I seem to think it was APX or something like that? I think you are right Caron it was the first building on the left after the bridge heading towards the lights.Im shure it was APX a well known brand i wonder if they are still around? http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... essage=325 Thanks for the post majorhoundy. Yes, thanks. Took me hours to read through it all but enjoyed it!