Old Leeds Firms

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
liits

Post by liits »

Sorry about that, Igot the sizes wrong. If one of the Mods would like to delete my post I'll do it again and post within reasonable limits.

Si

Post by Si »

liits wrote: Sorry about that, Igot the sizes wrong. If one of the Mods would like to delete my post I'll do it again and post within reasonable limits. OK Liits, post deleted as requested. Fire away again.    

liits

Post by liits »

Thanks Si, but now TinyPic is playing up and I can't reload the pictures. col wrote: HiI am looking for any information , memories and especially photos of Procter Bros., wireworks in Leeds.I have so far only seen 2 on leodis and would love photos of the clock or the ANYTHING IN WIRE sign on the building

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I used to work down Water Lane at Crabtrees. I used to be in the Office and was a typist. Crabtrees owned two buildings one on either side of Water Lane.If you walked from the Dark Arches then turned right into Water Lane the buildings were about 300 yards down from the pub at the top.Remember the pub especially on Friday when we got paid. Went there for lunch laugh. The Offices were on the left hand side as you walked down and there was also some printing works at that side but the main machines were finished off in the right hand side building. I used to type the invoices for the printing machines and I felt so chuffed sending them all over the World. It must have added to my wander lust as I ended up travelling to alot of the places on the addresses I typed. Never went without a dance partner at the Christmas party.    Peter Crabtree then sold the Company to Vickers.    p.s. When Cat Stevens released Matthew and Sons, we of course went to the pub and sang Crabtrees and Sons. You would - wouldnt you laugh?
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Noticed through all the messages that someone mentioned Whitbreads Brewery.I used to work there too in 1969. I used to type invoices which always seemed to be my job laugh. When you talk about health and safety it wasnt applied in the offices of Whitbreads.The man I worked for sat next to me with a cigarette in his hand most of the time and a pen in the other. If it wasnt a cigarette it was a bottle of booze. He had a crate of it at the side of him and me. I didnt drink beer so never bothered. Slowly during the day he would get drunker and drunker then drive home at 5pm. The Head brewer used to drink 12 BarleyWines before his lunch. Then have more during his lunch. All the alcohol was free whilst you were working and having lunch. I also remember the dray men loading the barrells on the lorries then putting a crate in between them at the front to drink as the drove along.Sounds like a tee totallers nightmare doesnt it.One thing I did like working there for was I was invited to lots of parties as I was able to hire a barrell of beer and the pump etc. It was really cheap but it was also a great way of getting to know people. The Original Oak was a great place to go and eye up the guys and thats where my party invites happened. Those were the days.    
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I wrote two threads about Crabtrees printers and also Whitbreads Brewery but they seem to be on page 12. Being a newbie just wondered why that had happened when I wrote them on different days? Thick or what laugh!!!
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

SAM DENISON WEIGHBRIDGE: made in LEEDS 1897

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Can anyone enlighten me as to what ordnance/munitions were made by Leeds companies in the 2 world wars.....Types of,companies,products made and locations ????????
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Hi Somme 1916You asked what companies made amunitions in the World Wars. I dont know much about the first world war but I know quite a few in Armley that did.Wilsons and Mathiesons down Armley Road made ammunition durng the second war. Especially guns. Greenwood and Batleys also down Armley Road made torpedoes.These two companies were spread on a very large amount of land and the back of Wilsons went behind towards the Armley Rail Goods yard on Canal Road, where they used to load the train wagons up. My Mum had a bomb dropped on her front door step as they missed the factory and Armley Station. They lived up Dunkirk Hill but luckily it did not go off properly and my Uncle Jim Midgley picked it up and threw it over a wall where it partly exploded and burnt his face and hands.Leeds Forge Company also made ammunition and was bombed during the War and they had a plaque outside to the workers who died there.They also made ammunition in the first WW.We have a post somewhere on here about Marston Radiators and they also made ammunition as well. All in Armley. Mostly down Armley Road. There was also the Royal Ordinance Factory on the East side of Leeds which made tanks. There were probably many other engineering factories which made ammunition in Leeds but thats all I know as my brother was alive during the war and remembers them well.Hope thats enough to keep you going laughp.s. My Great Uncle Albert Fowler died of gas on the Somme in September 1916 aged 17
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

ArmleyLass47:Thanks for that,it's all of interest.I remember R.O.F.Barnbow-years ago we supplied them with steel contractually and everything was quite secretive etc etc.I visited the premises many times over the years and security for visitors was obviously of paramount importance.Nevertheless I got to see tanks being constructed and tested on the test run outside.Was great to see the end result.All the steel alloys used were of the highest grades available and obviously very expensive.If I remember correctly,they were approx 8 times more expensive than the bog standard stuff.I will try and do some more research into the original question but you have pointed me in the right direction.Interesting to hear the Armley(LS12) connection.Guess the jerries will have targeted this area as likely Hunslet and Barnbow.(rail connections included).
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !