Thrift Stores

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
pippindoo

Re: Thrift Stores

Post by pippindoo »

I remember the Thrift Stores on Broadgate Lane at Horsforth, we used to get off the number 50 bus from visiting my Auntie Nellie's and I always got sweets there if I'd behaved! Also remember Grandways on New Road Side, again in Horsforth, it used to be the Glen Royal cinema.

jma

Post by jma »

My Grandma Edna Clarke, later Simpson worked at the Thrift Stores head office as pictured on p1 during the 1950s

This picture is from our family photo albums. It gives an idea of the size of the firm and a van expert may be able to date it
Thrift Store van fleet
Thrift Store van fleet
scan091.jpg (63.18 KiB) Viewed 2346 times

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

jma wrote:
Mon 15 Jun, 2020 1:55 pm
My Grandma Edna Clarke, later Simpson worked at the Thrift Stores head office as pictured on p1 during the 1950s

This picture is from our family photo albums. It gives an idea of the size of the firm and a van expert may be able to date it

scan091.jpg
That's a great picture jma. The nearest van looks like a mobile store rather than just a delivery van. I didn't know Thrift offered that service.
As to the make of van, my first thought is maybe Commer? I am sure someone will know for certain.
John
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

I think the vans may be Karrier Bantam with custom bodywork, see attached pic. Great pic by the way, thanks for posting.
Attachments
karrier5xs.jpg
karrier5xs.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 2223 times

jma

Post by jma »

I have wondered about how the picture came to be taken.

The copy I have is quite small, about 5" x 3¼" and printed on Ilford paper. The sort of snap found in family albums, but the composition looks more professional than something taken with a Box Brownie. Somebody must surely have gone to the trouble of having the vans parked in such a precise formation for a purpose. It's the sort of picture which would normally be published in a newspaper, featuring two important people shaking hands to celebrate some occasion involving a presentation, like a gold watch for long service.

That's all in addition to being impressed by the size of the fleet at a time when the horse and cart was still sometimes used for deliveries.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Another great pic , MiggyBill. The bar across the rear wheel arch is very distinctive.
Turns out my guess at Commer wasn't a million miles off mark
"In 1934 Karrier became part of the Rootes Group where it retained its brand identity though the business was operated as part of Rootes's Commer commercial vehicle operation. The Karrier name began to disappear from products when Chrysler bought Rootes in 1967. It was finally dropped in the early 1970s."
Incidentally I had an uncle who worked for Rootes group in Leeds in the 50s & 60s.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the 50s i worked for a carpet firm on North Street and we had a small warehouse at the back of Coxes on Regent St. the were the main outlet for all the Rootes Group cars. my mouth used to water at the cars in the showroom. I had an old Ford 8 van. One of our managers bought a brand new Hillman Super Minx and we all piled out to see it. I can't remember if it cost him £650. or £ 850..