Christmas in Leeds

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Hey cnosni, you know it's not Sabbath it's Heaven & Hell.

stevief

Post by stevief »

cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: Priestly House wrote: Nowt new or exciting there then? Same blurb as the past few years from LCC. BAN Xmas ads and xmas products in the shops until late november! Bring back roasted chestnuts braziers on every street corner! I loved xmas once - but am now a "bah humbug" sceptic....it's just tepid commercial rubbish. well said that man...and re-open lewis's,and decorate the windows,like in days of yore...this country becomes more like yank land as every second goes by...we sholud keep our traditions,keep our culture...christmas should be just that...christmas!! Wiggy i would certainly be able to tell you were of my generation even if i didnt already know it.Yes i used to look forward to Lewis'window at christmas,especially the action man display they seemed to have each year!Brings back memories of going to see santa there on the top floor,the grotto was magic!Took my teenage kids there when they were little and it all semmed a bit flat compared to what it used to be,maybe rose tinted glasses but somehow i dont think so.Had a bit of an argument when brother in law came over from scouse land the other week.He was not happy when i told him that the Santa in Lewis' wa the real santa and that all the others around the country were his helpers.He states that the one in Liverpool was the real santa,and then our lass says the same thing.But i know they are wrong because me mam told me he was the genuine article.Do you remember those various little "Grottos" around Leeds,sort of little nativity scenes in a fishtank like box that were scattered around the town centre,always seemed to remember one outside old Millgarth Fuzz station. You've brought back some memories there cnosni.Going WAY back to my own childhood,I recall Father Christmas arriving in Leeds by road.It was all carried out with great ceremony and necessitatedseveral road closures.Imagine the chaos that would cause now!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Hats Off wrote: Hey cnosni, you know it's not Sabbath it's Heaven & Hell. Its only heaven and Hell because theres no Ozzy and they do not want to upset him.Little Ronnie is singing,and though contraversial,i prefer this line up on the whole.anyway ive gone off topic again
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Quote: i told him that the Santa in Lewis' wa the real santa and that all the others around the country were his helpers. Absolutely!Lewis' Grotto was fab!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Ha Csnosi i think you & me are 2 peas in a pod mate! Rock dinousaurs & PROUD OF IT!!! WHOA Lewis's grotto...yes best by far croggy... the excitment was unbearable.. We loved it... but i hated the well naff toy you came out with instead of the Hornby or Scalextric in that mega big box above his head
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: Ha Csnosi i think you & me are 2 peas in a pod mate! Rock dinousaurs & PROUD OF IT!!! WHOA Lewis's grotto...yes best by far croggy... the excitment was unbearable.. We loved it... but i hated the well naff toy you came out with instead of the Hornby or Scalextric in that mega big box above his head I know that you go on Skyscraper city Phil but are you aware that since the refurb of Lewis's that i BELIEVE that they have removed those excellent art deco brass and iron staircase that led down from the first floor to the basement.I hope not, as i am sure you will agree, they were impressive,and appeared to be made in such a way that they would last forever.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

They never have csnosi? Well i don't believe it. thats the thing i remember most about that place. Why do they do this? You can't fit anything new that will better that staircase! I don't look on skyscraper very often so i miss all this news mate
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Saw a shop in Queens arcade with retro action man outfits ,complete with an action man,and i am not talking an american action man,but a bona fide copy or action man in the 70s,the outfits are exactly like they were with the correct looking packageing used in the 70s.was seriously tempted........still probably am.....

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: They never have csnosi? Well i don't believe it. thats the thing i remember most about that place. Why do they do this? You can't fit anything new that will better that staircase! I don't look on skyscraper very often so i miss all this news mate I believe that Leeds civic trust have objected,but not sure of outcome,or if they were too late.Frankly if i was the developer i would have looked at those staircases and immediately decided to have based the developments of those floors around them.I think you would have to have gone a long way to find something more impressive.

stevief

Post by stevief »

wiggy wrote: Priestly House wrote: Nowt new or exciting there then? Same blurb as the past few years from LCC. BAN Xmas ads and xmas products in the shops until late november! Bring back roasted chestnuts braziers on every street corner! I loved xmas once - but am now a "bah humbug" sceptic....it's just tepid commercial rubbish. well said that man...and re-open lewis's,and decorate the windows,like in days of yore...this country becomes more like yank land as every second goes by...we sholud keep our traditions,keep our culture...christmas should be just that...christmas!! You're right about us becoming yank clones wiggy.When I was a kidHallowe'en came and went.It was mischievious night(Nov.4)when it all 'happened' and I'd never heard of a pumpkin,it was a hollowed out swede with a candle inside(our Dad did the hollowing) our'mischief'consisted mainly of knocking on someones door and legging it,not the urban terrorism that sometimes masquerades as 'Trick or treat'.Signed Grumpy Old Man.