Old tram to Leeds-Guess where.

How well do you know Leeds?
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Si wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: For some reason I also thought it could be down Kirkgate looking towards the rail viaduct. The buildings look very similar down there, anyone else think so?http://goo.gl/maps/Mbd01             That was my first thought, Phill. The edge of the building on the right reminded me of the "quoins" on the old White Cloth Hall. I was also automatically drawn towards a choice between the two thoroughfares on seeing Phill's poser. People of our 'vintage' are not going to remember all of the individual buildings at the time these old photographs were taken.As well as the buildings similarity, I think the reason (Lower) Briggate and Kirkgate resemble each other is a 'gradient' thing. From this angle - no pun intended - they appear to be identical. I can't think of another street in the city centre which had trams running along it which might be confused with these two for the same reason.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Also think that sandblasting was an early 80's? thing and that back in the day brick buildings were all black/dark red and stone buildings black so one looked much like another as phill's last pic shows.

James

Post by James »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Made to measure, you don't see much like that these days really.I remember going in an old fashioned gents outfitters along Vicar Lane as a young lad, it could have actually been one of the shops on the front of Kirkgate Market. It's a long time ago now, probably 1971-74 so memory is a bit hazy......... The shop you can remember was probably Edmund Jackson gents outfitters in Market Buildings on Vicar Lane. I believe they sold only shoes and hats. There's a a couple of photos of the place on Leodis which I haven't attached because I'm unsure of the procedure on this website, and I reckon I'd make a mess of it.    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

James wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Made to measure, you don't see much like that these days really.I remember going in an old fashioned gents outfitters along Vicar Lane as a young lad, it could have actually been one of the shops on the front of Kirkgate Market. It's a long time ago now, probably 1971-74 so memory is a bit hazy......... The shop you can remember was probably Edmund Jackson gents outfitters in Market Buildings on Vicar Lane. I believe they sold only shoes and hats. There's a a couple of photos of the place on Leodis which I haven't attached because I'm unsure of the procedure on this website, and I reckon I'd make a mess of it.     That could be the one
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

James

Post by James »

That's it ! Thanks for taking the trouble. (I'll have to study the help section properly.)

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Just found this photo which looks a little confusing. The title says just 'Leeds tram'http://www.ruralroads.org/en/buses.shtmlIt looks to me like Kirkgate near the corner with the Duck and Drake. But the traffic is one way, and running the wrong way to what it is now?    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

trying to locate the building features to compare but they're all so run down it's hard

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Mirror image.

book

Post by book »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Just found this 1960's photo of shops along Vicar Lane, I'm trying to recall the one I went in with my grandad. There is one called Peter Eastwood menswear. Although this photo is on the other side of the road. I'll keep looking. My first job after leaving school was in that John Colliers on Vicar Lane
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

liits

Post by liits »

Phill was correct with the location, but try the photo this way around. It had been fliped so that it was reversed [look at the No Entry sign and the lettering on the shop signs].