Leeds School Camp at Langbar near Ilkley.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I have done a search of Secret Leeds but did not find a direct thread about the Leeds School Camp at Langbar near Ilkley. I feel sure there must be a thread so apologies if there is, but this one may bring back some memories for anyone that went to the camp.The Leeds School Camp was an educational/adventure time for Leeds schoolboys. This photo shows the other lads (and three teachers?) who were with me at the camp in what I think was 1953 +/- a year. My school then was Osmondthorpe Juniors and I would have been about 9 +/- 1 year. Sadly, though I recognise some of the boys I can only possibly name very few and even then I'm very unsure. The only thing I definitely recall about the camp was a walk up Beamsley Beacon during which we passed a very big hedgehog!The photo used to make the scanned image is only 5 by 3 inches.    
Attachments
__TFMF_qp5lkdaasjbfpa55upq1glen_da3a3d68-f093-48e1-a5bf-7513ffc15c22_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_qp5lkdaasjbfpa55upq1glen_da3a3d68-f093-48e1-a5bf-7513ffc15c22_0_main.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a scanned image of the card holder that holds the group photo.
Attachments
__TFMF_qp5lkdaasjbfpa55upq1glen_78cc27a0-c359-43de-9752-1f344d8796ad_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_qp5lkdaasjbfpa55upq1glen_78cc27a0-c359-43de-9752-1f344d8796ad_0_main.jpg (12.61 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Leodian wrote: I have done a search of Secret Leeds but did not find a direct thread about the Leeds School Camp at Langbar near Ilkley. I feel sure there must be a thread so apologies if there is, but this one may bring back some memories for anyone that went to the camp.The Leeds School Camp was an educational/adventure time for Leeds schoolboys. This photo shows the other lads (and three teachers?) who were with me at the camp in what I think was 1953 +/- a year. My school then was Osmondthorpe Juniors and I would have been about 9 +/- 1 year. Sadly, though I recognise some of the boys I can only possibly name very few and even then I'm very unsure. The only thing I definitely recall about the camp was a walk up Beamsley Beacon during which we passed a very big hedgehog!The photo used to make the scanned image is only 5 by 3 inches.     Hi Leodian - I attended The LSC about the same time as you. My school being Brownhill, now demolished. I remember the ramble up Beamsley Beacon and down to Bolton Abbey for which we recieved a certificate grandly entitled The League of Mountain Men, which I still have somewhere. We also rambled to a spot called Desolation Valley which I have never ever heard of since. Perhaps someone on here has heard of it. Initially the camp was quite daunting but once you got used to it and the "Goons", camp guards, it was a great weeks holiday. I seem to remember there was a party of girls from Victoria School, York Road, there at the same time who we got to meet the day before we left. A tremendous, if rough and ready, weeks holiday.    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Johnny39. I don't recall girls being there but at around 9 years old I doubt they would have interested me! The Valley of Desolation is now said to be a peaceful pretty area off on the right (looking upriver) near Bolton Abbey. The valley is so named because of the devastation caused by a storm long ago (I have not Googled it). I can just about recall going there only once, which must have been (like yourself) during a stay at the Leeds School Camp.     

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Leodian wrote: Hi Johnny39. I don't recall girls being there but at around 9 years old I doubt they would have interested me! The Valley of Desolation is now said to be a peaceful pretty area off on the right (looking upriver) near Bolton Abbey. The valley is so named because of the devastation caused by a storm long ago (I have not Googled it). I can just about recall going there only once, which must have been (like yourself) during a stay at the Leeds School Camp.      Thanks for that info. Leodian. I can remember the valley being a very quiet spot - no birds singing and that's about all. Like yourself it was the one and only time I went there. We must have been slightly older than you 13/14 and of course, at that age, we knew all about women!
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

tippi

Post by tippi »

HiIt was still going in the 1970's. I attended Harehills Middle School and went two years running (1976 and 1977). We were a mixed party of 11-13 year olds. The teachers (2 for approximately 32 pupils) slept in the farmhouse and we slept 8 to a tent. Its amazing that we were trusted to behave at night time - but from what I remember apart from sneaking food out for midnight feasts we did! We were so lucky with the weather (1976 especially) as the tents were really basic ex-army with no ground sheets - just a couple of planks of wood.I have wonderful memories of those holidays.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leodian wrote: The Leeds School Camp was an educational/adventure time for Leeds schoolboys. This photo shows the other lads (and three teachers?) who were with me at the camp in what I think was 1953 +/- a year. My school then was Osmondthorpe Juniors and I would have been about 9 +/- 1 year. Sadly, though I recognise some of the boys I can only possibly name very few and even then I'm very unsure. You must be one of the lucky ones Leodian, I too went to Osmondthorpe in 1955 but for the life of me cannot remeber going anywhere with the school.I can remember vividly a school party (think it was christmas) where we had a school group who played nothing but Shadows music.Oh and the school milk, and the afternoon naps. Was I ever a milk monitor?
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

There was plaque in the hall at the camp in memory of two Leeds Chirons Rugby players who were killed in action during World War Two. Both men had been teachers pre-war and the club raised the money to pay for the plaque.A photo of the plaque appears in my book about the club called Leeds Who?    

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

This is a photo of the plaque that was on the dining room wall at the Leeds School Camp. I attempted to upload it last year. I have now managed to upload it and I hope that it might bring back some memories.
Attachments
9. Photo Stevenson-Jaffe 001.jpg
9. Photo Stevenson-Jaffe 001.jpg (415.55 KiB) Viewed 2400 times