Beeston

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Hollie

Post by Hollie »

I'm curious if any one remembers the off Licence on Malvern Road which was owned by Ivy and Dennis Morrell. it is now a Youth Hostel.
xxx

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The only off licence I remember in Beeston is Pedders. It was at the top of Beeston Hill and used to sell handpumped Theakstons to take away. The Holbeck Ale Wine and Spirit Vaults used to sell draught Tetleys mild and bitter from handpumps to take away. Alas no longer
Industria Omnia Vincit

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

So much is no more Trojan, Does remind me of another shop there which must surely also be, no more - on the left on the bend, GJ Wood where Gran bought our first television.Little man from there would arrive promptly in his spotless white coat carrying a never ending supply of new valves when it went wrong.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The thread is titled 'Beeston' so I thought I would add this very short report here. In John Mayhall's 'Annals of Yorkshire' vol 1 it states:- "1600. About this time Beeston, near Leeds, was famous for the manufacture of bone lace."I didn't know what bone lace is so I've looked it up and in an entry in Wikipedia it states "Bobbin lace is a lace textile made by braiding and twisting lengths of thread, which are wound on bobbins to manage them. As the work progresses, the weaving is held in place with pins set in a lace pillow, the placement of the pins usually determined by a pattern or pricking pinned on the pillow. Bobbin lace is also known as pillow lace and bone lace, because early bobbins were made of bone or ivory." Beeston bone lace making is presumably a lost industry of Leeds, as I suspect it no longer goes on.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

chameleon wrote: So much is no more Trojan, Does remind me of another shop there which must surely also be, no more - on the left on the bend, GJ Wood where Gran bought our first television.Little man from there would arrive promptly in his spotless white coat carrying a never ending supply of new valves when it went wrong. ChameleonSounds like this bloke see pic.
Attachments
__TFMF_u3j3lh55hdtykjihqs5gzwzi_965c4d2c-2ba3-4588-b443-f450016ad1d1_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_u3j3lh55hdtykjihqs5gzwzi_965c4d2c-2ba3-4588-b443-f450016ad1d1_0_main.jpg (34.32 KiB) Viewed 3765 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: chameleon wrote: So much is no more Trojan, Does remind me of another shop there which must surely also be, no more - on the left on the bend, GJ Wood where Gran bought our first television.Little man from there would arrive promptly in his spotless white coat carrying a never ending supply of new valves when it went wrong. ChameleonSounds like this bloke see pic. My immediate reaction on seeing the bloke was that he looks like Wilfred Pickles (showing my age there! ).

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Indeed, it is the man himself.I hurt my leg recently and said to teenage kids "I was walking like John Wayne", they said "Who?"

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Indeed, it is the man himself.I hurt my leg recently and said to teenage kids "I was walking like John Wayne", they said "Who?" Wow I did not think I was right!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: My immediate reaction on seeing the bloke was that he looks like Wilfred Pickles (showing my age there! ). By Jove he DOES look like Wilfred - "Give 'im the money Mabel."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

[quote="BLAKEY"]Leodian wrote: My immediate reaction on seeing the bloke was that he looks like Wrilfred Pickles (showing my age there! ). By Jove he DOES look like Wilfred - "Give 'im the money Mabel."

His Wife Mabel featured on the Radio Programme but i think it was "Give him the Money Barney". Not sure as during and just after the War our Radio used mysteriously come and go for a while depending on my Dads financial position on the Stock Market.
The Barney referred to i think was the same Barney Colehan that produced "The Good Old Days".

One thing IS certain i am enjoying going down memory lane with all these posts and am not even halfway through.
Thanks to All.