Newlay Hall - Bramley

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Welcome! Put us out of our misery then....

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Si wrote: sundowner wrote: billy the buffalo wrote: Looking at the map it appears Newlay Hall is where the old quarry is now at Bramley Fall Woods.I do remember a family that used to live in a house that was on the edge of the quarry that has long since gone, i think there may be some trace of it though. ( that was in the 60's)     Hi billy the buffalo that quarry was probably there a long time before the house i am sure i read they took stone from Bramley Fall Woods to build York Minster i am shure someone will know if i am right or wrong. Or was it kirkstall Abbey     According to other threads on SL, stone from that quarry was used in every famous building in the country! Erm,...except York Minster! Nice to see old threads resurrected - I'd forgotten I'd posted to this originally!Bramley Fall Woods stone has travelled even further than the UK mainland! The Church of Our Lady, Star of the Sea and St Maughold (only the Catholics could come up with a name like that, and I'm "of that ilk" so I'm not mocking!) in Ramsey, Isle of Man, was rebuilt in 1909 to a design of Giles Gilbert Scott and stone from Bramley Fall Woods was shipped over for the reconstruction.    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Phill_d wrote: The gable end still stands of Newlay hall, if you can fight your way through the undegrowth to get to it that is. It's spot on were Tasa'a map shows it. You can see the old gate posts on the boundry wall still.     The best way I found to the Hall was to walk down the canal from the abbey towards Leeds and quickly cross over at the lock gates. There's a pathway into the woods that's easy to walk and it cuts back towards Pollard Lane, and you climb through the woods to an elevation where there's a suprisingly steep drop (a quarry face).You then see the old gable end of the Hall which was a delight as finding any old ruin of a historic building can be. Almost next to that is some old Quarry processing buildings which take some working out, so it's a suprising and enjoyable little trip into the woods.Close by is an English heritage kiosk and sign "Abbey Tunnel". It's adults £4 children £2. The lady there also sells guidebooks "Tunnels of old Leeds" by some Davidson chap.Never heard of him so I didn't get one.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Tasa wrote: Here's where it was. Here's a link to Live Search Maps - the remains of Newlay Hall are the brown clearing to the east of the white rectangular clearing.http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1 Tasa's map shows the lock and also the path cutting back into the woods. When I say walk from the Abbey I mean the pub on Pollard Lane.The bridge is well worth a look and if you take an old map you can traces all the old (extensive) quarry workings some of the quarry faces being impressive. You can also trace the sites of industrial buildings that have now given way to nice flats,In fact the areas in and around Pollard's bridge Bramley and Horsforth side is a nice little Haven to explore as is the Abbey pub. Take your pick - a historical tour ending in a pint, or a quick 10 minutes to have a shufty at the gable end and back for a night in the Abbey. Again the pub that is.

railnut

Post by railnut »

Stone from this quarry was used for the Doric Arch at Euston station which was demolished in the 60's and the stone as dumped in the River Lea at Stratford. There was a big outcry about this with Sir John Betjamin getting involved to try and save it. Sadly, he failed, but his legacy lives on because he went on to campaign against the demolition of nearby St Pancras and this time he succeeded.Whilst building the Olympic park the River Lea was diverted and the stone from the arch that was used as a re-enforcement was recovered. This has been taken to a safe place and plans are afoot to rebuild this arch when Euston is again re-developed.The granite from Falls Wood no longer being available to carry out the restoration has thrown up an alternative source, this being from the quarry at the back of Golden Acre Park.A dedicated website gives all the details at www.eustonarch.org

quarrygirl

Post by quarrygirl »

[the old house Newlay hall when I lived there ,was split in two internally,we lived in the half facicing toward the cut,and the other side of the house held POW, who worked in the quarry and yes they were chained to walls and chained when working. The dynamite blasts were quite scary when we heard the tin whistle been blown we ran ! We did not have dustbins so all our rubbish was thrown down the side of the hill toward the cut (cannel) so if you have a metal detector get down there. when the lorries brought stone up from the quarry it went on old rubber conveyer belts to be crushed,we used to ride them when no one was looking, then it was held in the big stone containers some of which are still there.I been to look. We were not allowed in the fine sand crush box though because you could drown in the fine sand.Dynamite was kept in a shed/store between the house and the canel in a wooded area,we werent allowed to go there but we used to smell the sticks of dynamite which was great smelt of almonds,still love marzipan today !.The forman a Mr Sam Carter still lives in Horsforth and we are still in touch.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The Parksider wrote: Close by is an English heritage kiosk and sign "Abbey Tunnel". It's adults £4 children £2. The lady there also sells guidebooks "Tunnels of old Leeds" by some Davidson chap.Never heard of him so I didn't get one. Blooming heck Parksider I was believing you until it said Davidson ........
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

KLT

Re: Newlay Hall - Bramley

Post by KLT »

Quarrygirl, please could I see some of those photos, im very interested in the history of the Bramley Falls & Newley areas. Thank you.

KLT

Post by KLT »

quarrygirl

KLT

Post by KLT »

Please could I see some of the photos? Im very interested in the history of that area. Thank you.