Record Shops - a misspent youth

Your favourite days out round Leeds
jim

Post by jim »

Since my early record collecting days ( yes, 78s! ) I've spent a fair bit of time in record shops, starting with Barkers ( NE corner of Lands Lane and Albion Place ), and Valances when they had two shops, one on the south side of Queen Victoria Street ( Vicar Lane end ) which sold musical instruments and the other selling records in the same position on King Edward Street.Scene and Heard near the Golden Cock on Kirkgate was run by Lenny Lyons, who later had a record shop on Mill Hill. Downstairs at Scene and Heard was run by D. F. a long time acquaintance of mine, who later opened a shop at one time called Melgary Music at Nos 10/11 in the Grand Arcade. He also operated this shop under another name - which I can't for the life of me remember! They sold both new and second hand records. Later the same shop ran under yet another name under new ownership.There was a shop selling second hand records in the alley/yard which preceded Burtons Arcade run by a guy named Peter - surname forgotten.The shop mentioned earlier on the thread opposite Rawcliffes definitely existed, They had a good stock of Island and Sue label records, but I recall the shop as selling new, not second hand, stock. What I can't remember is the name!A shop at 164 Lower Briggate was a second hand operation. At various times it was called Black Vinyl and Vinyl Addiction - and may have had other names as well.I believe I have bought from every one of the shops previously mentioned on this thread, which is probably the reason I've never had much money!

franco

Post by franco »

I loved Amazing Records. The dank aroma of cardboard. vinyl and mould. Every time i ventured downstairs the incredibly irritating "Tar" by Visage seemed to be on constant turntable rotation."Remember the warning on the packet". Thanks Amazing Records because of you i'll never (sob) forget.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I got Tubeway Army on Blue Vinyl there too ! and Down In The Park 12" still got them ! I probably know you.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

franco wrote: I loved Amazing Records. The dank aroma of cardboard. vinyl and mould. Every time i ventured downstairs the incredibly irritating "Tar" by Visage seemed to be on constant turntable rotation."Remember the warning on the packet". Thanks Amazing Records because of you i'll never (sob) forget. Taking one out of the packetit's just a force of habit

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

anthonydna wrote: I got Tubeway Army on Blue Vinyl there too ! and Down In The Park 12" still got them ! I probably know you. Probably!Next numan gig in Leeds wear a 1908 map pinned to your collar.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I will! I went to St Michaels, one of our games options was 10 pin bowling in the Merrion Centre, was superb, Jumbo in the mock Tudor alley, Adrians in the Merrion Market to look at the bootlegs, then down to Amazing for the good stuff. Dont remember doing much bowling!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Spring Bank, Beddies & Lawnswood. Did you know Paul Sheldrake?

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Don't recall the name, but knew most Numan fans by sight, not that we were that hard to spot!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

jim wrote: Since my early record collecting days ( yes, 78s! ) I've spent a fair bit of time in record shops, starting with Barkers ( NE corner of Lands Lane and Albion Place ), and Valances when they had two shops, one on the south side of Queen Victoria Street ( Vicar Lane end ) which sold musical instruments and the other selling records in the same position on King Edward Street.Scene and Heard near the Golden Cock on Kirkgate was run by Lenny Lyons, who later had a record shop on Mill Hill. Downstairs at Scene and Heard was run by D. F. a long time acquaintance of mine, who later opened a shop at one time called Melgary Music at Nos 10/11 in the Grand Arcade. He also operated this shop under another name - which I can't for the life of me remember! They sold both new and second hand records. Later the same shop ran under yet another name under new ownership.There was a shop selling second hand records in the alley/yard which preceded Burtons Arcade run by a guy named Peter - surname forgotten.The shop mentioned earlier on the thread opposite Rawcliffes definitely existed, They had a good stock of Island and Sue label records, but I recall the shop as selling new, not second hand, stock. What I can't remember is the name!Just as I was scrolling down this thread to recent posts -Bakers came to my mind,not Bakers but Barkers !Did yhey only have the one shop ?A shop at 164 Lower Briggate was a second hand operation. At various times it was called Black Vinyl and Vinyl Addiction - and may have had other names as well.I believe I have bought from every one of the shops previously mentioned on this thread, which is probably the reason I've never had much money!
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

anthonydna wrote: Don't recall the name, but knew most Numan fans by sight, not that we were that hard to spot! He was just a friend at St Michaels, loved Lawnswood 'uniform' guidlines...anything black!