Legless

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
wsmith

Post by wsmith »

Great new website! My first time with pics... I often guessed on the way into work that this thing (at the edge of Woodhouse Lane) might have been steps for people to dismount from horses or coaches? I wouldn't try stopping there now. I nearly got killed this morning trying to take a photo from the other side.
Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (53.09 KiB) Viewed 4452 times

wsmith

Post by wsmith »

Looking at the local Pack Horse Hotel, I was wondering if Woodhouse Moor might once have been a stop-off place, a weigh station, for people bringing wool & stuff to the markets in town? The Pack Horse on the sign is weighed down by bales of something.
Attachments
02.jpg
02.jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 4452 times

wsmith

Post by wsmith »

and looking at the 'rampart' between Rampart Road & Woodhouse Lane (very man- made), I was wondering if this might originally have been constructed for wagons n so on to stop at the side of the road, on the Moor, before entering into the old town.It's still used for this purpose, sometimes. When the fair is town, this is where the caravans are parked up.Is this what the rampart was built for, or for some older purpose?
Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (27.1 KiB) Viewed 4452 times

wsmith

Post by wsmith »

Just looking at my last picture, I note that the poor Pack Horse over the door is now legless.Fitting, perhaps?
Attachments
04.jpg
04.jpg (46.6 KiB) Viewed 4452 times

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

lol classic well spotted
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

That's what I have always been told similar stone steps were for WSmith. There is also the iron horse trough near the bottom of St Chad's drive in Headingley.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/