Corn Exchange

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

I absolutely love the Corn Exchange on a Saturday!!! Breakfast at Brodericks, (with a free 2nd cappucino, no less), then just sitting back and people watching!!! There are 100's of Goths who congregate outside every week and I've never seen an ounce of trouble!I remember going in there with my dad in the late 70's. There were no shops then, but the middle of the floor was taken up with wooden "lecturns", presumably where the corn traders bargained, bought and sold from? Eeeh, them were the days, eh?!!!

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I remember being taken into the corn exchange in the early 60`s to see the model railway exhibition, i seem to remember it was always around october or november. I also remember getting my haircut in the late 60`s at Homburgs on the outside of the corn exchange. I also remember in the early to mid 70`s frequenting the cellar bars underneath the corn exchange, i think it later changed its name to Martines.

stevief

Post by stevief »

Didn't there used to be a fighter plane suspended from the ceiling?Or maybe it was on the floor(come to think of it!).It's not that long since-5 to 10 years.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Yes, a suspended plane does ring a bell! Think it was from the ceiling. I love the way the building looks round from the outside, bu is in fact eye shaped inside and looks like the inside hull of a huge wooden boat!!! Call me sad if you like!!

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

The aircraft that hung from the ceiling was a replica 1903 Wright Flyer or in other words the first powered aircraft to fly. It is now in the care of the Yorkshire air museum at Elvington. www.yorkshireairmuseum.co.uk/collection ... o.asp?id=3

RavenSkie

Post by RavenSkie »

wouldnt get a plane in there nowtoo much scaffoldingupsetting the ghosts.and im working theredont know how the builders stay overnight
Yoo can take the Goth outta the CornExchangeBut yoo cant take the CornExchange outta the Goth

RavenSkie

Post by RavenSkie »

wouldnt get a plane in there nowtoo much scaffoldingupsetting the ghosts.and im working theredont know how the builders stay overnight
Yoo can take the Goth outta the CornExchangeBut yoo cant take the CornExchange outta the Goth

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

I'm positive I remember going to a pop festival/gig held in there? :-SToo many gigs back then...the 70's and 80's get a bit blurred musically :-(
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Right,you Young'uns!When I joined the Army Cadet Force (2nd Battalion West Yorks Regt)! In Nov. 1 9 4 2! Me an' me mate had to go to the Corn exchange to be kitted out! The upper floor offices (cells)were used as Quartermaster Stores for Army Cadets ,Home Guard,ARP wardens and other Cadet forces like ATC and Navy.Even the OCTU Future Army Officers 'Ruperts' and 'Tarquins' from the Grammarschools and colleges were kitted out there!I was issued with Battledress top and trousers forage cap and badge and a pair of 'gaiters' (anklets). No Boots,had to provide my own! As I was only 4ft.11" in those days. my trousers waistband was up under my armpits and the legs were at least 6" too long!At least I could tuck em into my gaiters! With out the gaiters,they said I looked like Snow White's 'Dopey' in his trailing nightshirt!So Crewel, one's peers!Enjoyed every minute in the ACF which I stayed in until I joined the RAF! How daft is that? I was just too young for the Army so they suggested the Boy Service in the Airforce. Anyway,they had sheets on the beds, proper shirts and ties in the RAF,So Im' gladI joined and helped with the Brylcreem Trade enormously! see NEXTThreadArry

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Never sure If I'm gonna get cut off when I get to the end of a msge page so playing safe with a new 'un!In 1947, the Army and Airforce recruiting offices were downEastgate in what I can remember as the Hoover Building?Think it's now a Gas showroom? The Navy/Marines Recruiting office at that time was next to the Majestic and the 'Postman's Rest Room'(!) (The West Riding pub!) This subject was covered in a recent thread, I think? My Dad spent most of hisP.O. 'breaks' and longer, in there! Last I remember,the RAF Recruit office is/was in Cross Fountain Street, near the HSBC bank.CheersArry Awk