Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
ackers72

Post by ackers72 »

What about Stoggies(later Caspers)on Burley Road it was a very classy establishment!!!! Must admit better than the eyesore that is there now!!!!!
Short in arm and long in pocket, been a long time but I am making a re-appearance!!!!

magic

Post by magic »

raveydavey wrote: What about Rockys in the Compton Arms?The name was appropriate due to the large numbers of fights - I think they got to Rocky V and beyond most nights. I did some DJing at Rockys on a few Saturdays. We managed to pull in about 8 people one night & most of them were my mates!! Uropa which is now Gatecrasher. Nato on Boar Lane. Bedrooms some where near Maplin on Regent street. Observatory on boar lane, this would be our last resort if we could not get in any were else.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

anyone use branigans(not the silly bar) the night club,downstairs....during the 80s? ?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

slw

Post by slw »

There was Love Train on a Friday night and Top Banana on Saturday at the T'n'C. Spent many a drunken night in there.

julesd

Post by julesd »

Hi, just joined Secret Leeds & what a FANTASTIC site this is. I've found a few nightclubs here I remember, but my favourite haunt in the early/mid 80's was Bali Hai, the little room above Tiffany's. Used to go most Friday & Saturday nights and used to bug the DJ until he played me some Gary Numan. Remember the dance floor being right next to the doors & watching the 'normal' people coming upstairs to see what was in the room, being fascinated/horrified to see the weird & wonderful doing the 'chicken dance', then turn & move very quickly back down to Tiffany's!!! Also remember Rocky's (in the Compton) was there on the opening night & went there for quite a long time, before moving onto the salubricious Martine's (where again I used to bug the DJ for Gary Numan), must admit it was a bit of a dive but never saw trouble when I was there - loved the 'chicken in a basket & chips'. Does anyone remember the old Scrumpy's swopping to become Adam & Eve's every now & then before turning back to Scrumpy's?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

julesd wrote: Hi, just joined Secret Leeds & what a FANTASTIC site this is. I've found a few nightclubs here I remember, but my favourite haunt in the early/mid 80's was Bali Hai, the little room above Tiffany's. Used to go most Friday & Saturday nights and used to bug the DJ until he played me some Gary Numan. Remember the dance floor being right next to the doors & watching the 'normal' people coming upstairs to see what was in the room, being fascinated/horrified to see the weird & wonderful doing the 'chicken dance', then turn & move very quickly back down to Tiffany's!!! Also remember Rocky's (in the Compton) was there on the opening night & went there for quite a long time, before moving onto the salubricious Martine's (where again I used to bug the DJ for Gary Numan), must admit it was a bit of a dive but never saw trouble when I was there - loved the 'chicken in a basket & chips'. Does anyone remember the old Scrumpy's swopping to become Adam & Eve's every now & then before turning back to Scrumpy's? Happened to notice the stats on the front page have gone up so if you have just joined, you must be user number 923 - 77 more to make a Grand - doesn't seem long since you were telling us all we'd reached 500 munki!If the enthusiasm of your first post is anything to go by, think you are going to enjoy being here jules (by the way, it's addictive!).

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Tiffany's (Weds over 25s) was where I went with my now wife the night we first met in the Pig & Whistle on the front of the centre in the early 80's. That place has a lot to answer for. Ouch - down woman! Didn't mean it like that dearest!!!

julesd

Post by julesd »

Thanks Chameleon for the welcome - your not wrong when you say this site is addictive - boyfriend showed me the 'Lost Leeds Pubs' thread over the weekend & I ended up reading the whole bloomin 35 pages..... Only earlier today was thinking there needed to be a lost leeds nightclubs and lo and behold I find one tonight. I've just remembered something else about Tiffs - I used to go on a Monday night under 18's (a couple of years before my Bali Hai days) and remember seeing Modern Romance(!!!!) there, also met Nick Cotton (Eastenders) as my friends set me up to go on stage (pretending it was my birthday) and got a rose and a kiss on the cheek (oh such innocent days they were!!).My boyfriend used to go to the Pig & Whistle before we met, think it was more the 90's though and we still occasionally go to Fab (but too many students now for my liking) & I kind of think of this as being a 'Lost Leeds Nightclub' now.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

HTB wrote: In late 80s/early 90s when i was a member of the LUNIS MCC, we always used to go to Scrumpy's, remember that wierd cartoon of a cat that they never painted over every time they did a "refit". We always danced in a big circle, girls on the inside guys on the outside fending off tossers. It closed down for a few months and we all moved to that dodgy church out on Jack lane (what was it called?) for a Great British Night Out, a pint and a fight!Thems were the days.HTB     The place in Holbeck we got moved out to was The Cambrian. Great building - big, sprawling, with galleried landings, a restaurant in the basement and Stowford Press cider on tap - but it was in the middle of nowhere, and in the depths of winter nobody could be bothered dragging themselves out there. There were a few occasions where I was the only punter there.... Mind you, the New Years Eve bash there was great. I still have pictures from that night.That building's offices now, which is a shame. I always wanted to live in it.But yeah, glad we got moved back to the old pit later on. It was a hole, but it was OUR hole.     

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

julesd wrote: Does anyone remember the old Scrumpy's swopping to become Adam & Eve's every now & then before turning back to Scrumpy's? It was officially Adam & Eves when I started going (April '87), but everyone still called it Scrumpies. It reverted to the old name after a refit.