Lost Night-Clubs of Leeds!

Top tips for great nights out in Leeds
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

liits wrote: How about Primo’s ll, next to the market. It was in the basement of Market Chambers, between Back New York St & New York St. Leeds bestist gay venue. I don’t think that there was ever a Primo’s 1. Many years before that at the Woodpecker [yes, that’s right, the Woody] was the “Scrap Yard Disco” with, on the A-board outside, “see the real car inside". Inside was a scrap, obviously, Vauxhall Viva. Quality!I was also surprised to find out that the New Penny now opens until 5am. First they clean the place, now they get a late license!     for some reason,not many of us on gipton ever bothered with primos2...although i did once buy a jumper for £175 at primos the shop,back in the 80s.....must of been mad!    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

The one on Briggate was Belindas, I think - lots of school friends 18ths held there!

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

The club under the Corn Exchange was Martines - got our purses nicked in there one night!The bar at the Windmill at Seacroft had a few names - can't remember them now.How about Foxes at Chapel Allerton, I think.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

wiggy wrote: liits wrote: How about Primo’s ll, next to the market. It was in the basement of Market Chambers, between Back New York St & New York St. Leeds bestist gay venue. I don’t think that there was ever a Primo’s 1. Many years before that at the Woodpecker [yes, that’s right, the Woody] was the “Scrap Yard Disco” with, on the A-board outside, “see the real car inside". Inside was a scrap, obviously, Vauxhall Viva. Quality!I was also surprised to find out that the New Penny now opens until 5am. First they clean the place, now they get a late license!     for some reason,not many of us on gipton ever bothered with primos2...although i did once buy a jumper for £175 at primos the shop,back in the 80s.....must of been mad!     lol us lot were too busy sparring in the starlight or as it was affectionately known"THE STARFIGHTER"
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Croggy wrote: The club under the Corn Exchange was Martines - got our purses nicked in there one night!The bar at the Windmill at Seacroft had a few names - can't remember them now.How about Foxes at Chapel Allerton, I think. remember it as Stakis Windmill Hotel, Foxes was in the old Mexborough, now the Three Hulats. I seem t remember it was some pseudo club type thing

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned TC's. The first time I went in was in the mid 70's. It was a friday night and as I walked down the steps the song I heard was 'Rock The Boat' by The Hues Corporation. I got inside and there behind the bar was about 100 pints of beer all pulled and ready for the punters. It was jet black inside with long tables and benches. Needless to say it wasn't long before the first (of many) fight broke out.Ahhhhh happy times!!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Chrism wrote: rainone wrote: What was that one just up from Leeds Bridge, bottom of Brigate? And that other one on the first floor of a building on East Parade? Was the one on Brigate called Tramps and the other one was Nouveau, just above Brahms and Liszt? Think the one at the bottom of Briggate was the Pentagon, remember it in the early 70s. Up 2 flights of stairs.how about the Cats Whiskers at Meanwood, always a good rowdy friday night in there, the resident band were the Whales, the dance floor rasied about 2 feet, many, fell off.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

geoffb wrote: Chrism wrote: rainone wrote: What was that one just up from Leeds Bridge, bottom of Brigate? And that other one on the first floor of a building on East Parade? Was the one on Brigate called Tramps and the other one was Nouveau, just above Brahms and Liszt? Think the one at the bottom of Briggate was the Pentagon, remember it in the early 70s. Up 2 flights of stairs.how about the Cats Whiskers at Meanwood, always a good rowdy friday night in there, the resident band were the Whales, the dance floor rasied about 2 feet, many, fell off. It probably had a few names I remember it as Tramps, Belindas, The Music Factory and there's probably a couple of others. I rememeber the Cats Whiskers, we used to go to Northern Soul all-nighters and all-dayers there.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

slw

Post by slw »

Was the nightclub at Seacroft (Windmill Hotel) called Woodstocks ?

stodge.

Post by stodge. »

Croggy wrote: The club under the Corn Exchange was Martines - got our purses nicked in there one night!The bar at the Windmill at Seacroft had a few names - can't remember them now.How about Foxes at Chapel Allerton, I think. Foxes, what a top place that was, spent many a night arguing with Bernard on the door, how about The Chained Bull or The Stables.There was The Pheonix in Chapletown and Studio one at the bottom of North Street, the only place i new that would serve a pint in 2 plastic half glasses, the idea, I was told, was to occupy both hands to make you think twice about throwing a punch, classy place.There was also Digby's next to Len's bar.