Does anyone have any information on this building by the Leeds&Liverpool Canal (not a quiz).

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Does anyone have any information on this building by the Leeds&Liverpool Canal (not a quiz).

Post by Leodian »

I would be grateful if anyone knows any history about a run-down looking building by the Leeds & Liverpool Canal near to Office Lock, Leeds. Looking at some maps it seems it might have been a clothing factory in at least the late 1960s. There were some lights on so it seems the building is in use but at least its canal frontage looks neglected. Its address might be Globe Road but if so it is well set back from that. I took these 2 photos on August 6 2019.
BuildingByLeedsLiverpoolCanalNearOfficeLockLeedsAug062019(1)..jpg
BuildingByLeedsLiverpoolCanalNearOfficeLockLeedsAug062019(1)..jpg (144.9 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
BuildingByLeedsLiverpoolCanalNearOfficeLockLeedsAug062019(2)..jpg
BuildingByLeedsLiverpoolCanalNearOfficeLockLeedsAug062019(2)..jpg (138.64 KiB) Viewed 4097 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Re: Does anyone have any information on this building by the Leeds&Liverpool Canal (not a quiz).

Post by buffaloskinner »

According to the Fire Insurance plans of the early 1900s it was
Symington's Ltd
Printing & Cabinet Factory
Fancy Box Factory No.2

or looking at the distance from the building to the railway on satellite, it is more likely to have been the second building which was
WH Turner & Co
Tobacco Factory
Globe Mills

:arrow:
Attachments
Symingtons, Globe Road, Holbeck 1902.JPG
Symingtons, Globe Road, Holbeck 1902.JPG (523.49 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

chemimike

Re: Does anyone have any information on this building by the Leeds&Liverpool Canal (not a quiz).

Post by chemimike »

Apart from the position of the railway, the Symington's factory went back three-quarters of the was to Globe Road, and the roof sections, measured by the roof plan shown, were close together. The main building of the Turner factory was about a third of the distance to Globe Road, and had wider roof sections similar to that shown on Google
aerial view of probable ex turner factory by Leeds.Liv canal.jpg
aerial view of probable ex turner factory by Leeds.Liv canal.jpg (138.08 KiB) Viewed 4070 times

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I'm sure in the 1990s/ early 2000s it became "Globe Road Antiques" for a time. Not sure when it exactly opened or closed though.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks buffaloskinner, chemimike and LS1 for your help which is appreciated :).

I find maps such as that provided by buffaloskinner to be very interesting. I notice on that early 1900s map it labels 'L.& N. W. & N. E. Rys (Joint) STABLES'. Assuming that means for horses then it is fascinating that the railways used horses. Perhaps they pulled wagons on tracks so as not to fire up a steam engine for a just short while. Or may be the horses were used to carry such as goods and coal off tracks to where needed.

tilly

Post by tilly »

A bit off topic but i see the factory i worked in in the sixties is named Harding Richardsons and Rhodes when i worked there it was called Harding and Rhodes i wonder when the Richardsons was dropped or is my memory playing me tricks.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Leodian wrote:
Thu 08 Aug, 2019 8:30 pm
Thanks buffaloskinner, chemimike and LS1 for your help which is appreciated :).

I find maps such as that provided by buffaloskinner to be very interesting. I notice on that early 1900s map it labels 'L.& N. W. & N. E. Rys (Joint) STABLES'. Assuming that means for horses then it is fascinating that the railways used horses. Perhaps they pulled wagons on tracks so as not to fire up a steam engine for a just short while. Or may be the horses were used to carry such as goods and coal off tracks to where needed.
Horses were used tomove wagons, but also for delivery of parcels and goods. Most companies did a lot of delivering. Do not know figures for Leeds, but in 1867 over 130 horses were employed by the Great Western Railway in Birmingham for these tasks. In 1952 there were still 39 horses emplyed by the railway in Leeds and the last one fro th eWellington St station was saved from the knackers in 1953
Yorkshire post.18.2.1953 last railway horse saved.jpg
Yorkshire post.18.2.1953 last railway horse saved.jpg (66.67 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
Evening post.14.8.1952  last horses.jpg
Evening post.14.8.1952 last horses.jpg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 3914 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

tilly wrote:
Thu 08 Aug, 2019 8:47 pm
A bit off topic but i see the factory i worked in in the sixties is named Harding Richardsons and Rhodes when i worked there it was called Harding and Rhodes i wonder when the Richardsons was dropped or is my memory playing me tricks.

Have a look here at Graces guide, tells you everything you wanted to know Sid

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Harding,_ ... des_and_Co

Attachments
Harding Rhodes poster.jpg
Harding Rhodes poster.jpg (240.28 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks chemimike for the interesting information about the railway horses :). The term 'horse power' would have been very applicable to them.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian wrote:
Fri 09 Aug, 2019 6:41 pm
Thanks chemimike for the interesting information about the railway horses :). The term 'horse power' would have been very applicable to them.

Wish i had been around a few years earlier to see these lovely animals Leodian my brother and i used to go in the stables on Church Road on our way to school and it was quite obvious that these stables had only been vacated in recent years. It was in the late 1940s and i doon't recall just how many stalls there where but i do know there was "Thorner Dolly" and "Juno"with their names over the doors. The straw was still quite fresh and plentiful looking so guess it must have been quite recent.