Pine Court, Kirkgate.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: Pine Court, Kirkgate.

Post by Leodian »

tomq wrote:
Leodian wrote:
buffaloskinner wrote:On the 1901 census Pine Court was also known as Maudes Yard.
There was just eight people living there in two houses.

:arrow:
I wonder if Maudes Yard and the fairly close Maude Street are named after a Leeds person of note? I have tried searches (but not in great depth) but have not found any information on such a person. Does anyone know anything about Maude or a source of information?
Possibly the Maudes of Middleton Lodge - https://middletonlife.wordpress.com/201 ... rks-story/
Thanks tomq for your very helpful suggestion :). Using that I found the following:-

Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History mentions an 'Edmund Maude and Sons of St. Peter's Quay, Leeds'. That had a link to an 1834 Directory of Leeds that under an Iron Masters and Merchants section listed a 'Maude Edmund & Sons, St. Peter's quay' but it had no further information.

Though I have not been able to definitely find out where St. Peter’s quay was it does seem likely that it may have been by the River Aire close to St. Peter's Church (Leeds Minster but still likely known as the Parish Church by many). As Maude Street is very close to the church it may therefore be that it is named to honour that Edmund Maude.

I did find the following about an Edmund Maude in the online Wikipedia encyclopaedia website but In view of the 1834 date in the directory it will not be the same person but could be a same named son, or not, of Edmund Maude:-

“Edmund Maude (31 December 1839 – 2 July 1876) was an English amateur first-class cricketer, who played two matches for Yorkshire County Cricket Club in 1866. Born in Middleton, Leeds, Yorkshire, England, Maude made his debut against Cambridgeshire at Great Horton Road, Bradford and scored 1 and 16. His last game, at the same venue against Nottinghamshire, was ruined by rain washing out the first two days. Nottinghamshire scored 103 for 6 in 95 overs on the final day, depriving Maude of another chance to bat in first-class cricket. Maude died in July 1876 in Headingley, Leeds, aged 36”.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Leodian,

I did a bit of research on Genuki and found that St Peter's Quay was situated at High Court Lane, which was off 70 Kirkgate, just west of St Peter's Church. Maude Street was just east of the church. The only thing is that High Court Lane did not go south, as far as the river, only as far as The Calls. On the old maps, there are many 'wharfs' beside the river but none are named St Peter's Quay. However, immediately opposite the bottom of High Court Lane there was a large Timber Yard (1850 map) next to the river.

Ian

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

iansmithofotley wrote:Hi Leodian,

I did a bit of research on Genuki and found that St Peter's Quay was situated at High Court Lane, which was off 70 Kirkgate, just west of St Peter's Church. Maude Street was just east of the church. The only thing is that High Court Lane did not go south, as far as the river, only as far as The Calls. On the old maps, there are many 'wharfs' beside the river but none are named St Peter's Quay. However, immediately opposite the bottom of High Court Lane there was a large Timber Yard (1850 map) next to the river.

Ian
Thanks Ian for that interesting information. :)

PS. Ian is my middle name. According to a report I recently read it seems that Ian is among once popular names that have gone well out of favour such that it is rarely used now to name a child!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Edmund Maude 1839 was the son of John and Mary Maude, John was a Stuff (materials) Merchant. See 1851 census below.

There were two Maude's Yard in Leeds, one on East Street and one on the Calls and in 1845 the older (not related) Edmund Maude had moved from St Peters Quay to 12 Calls and was an Iron and Timber Merchant. Logically this was one of the Maude's Yards.
Attachments
Edmund Maude 1851 Census.JPG
Edmund Maude 1851 Census.JPG (118.54 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
Williams 1845 Directory.JPG
Williams 1845 Directory.JPG (101.33 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Seems the Maude family were also shareholders in Middleton Broom Pit

https://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines-map/coal- ... 1808-1968/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks buffaloskinner for all of your information :).

The ages in the 1851 census are fascinating. The oldest was born in 1764 so in the reign of George 111 and the youngest was born in 1842 so in the reign of Queen Victoria. The youngest children could at least have been alive well into the 1900s.

I find it interesting that a girl aged 12 was said to be unmarried as also were the boys aged 11 and 15 (possibly also the lad aged 17). Perhaps it was a need of the census to state a person's married state even when as young as 12 or perhaps (but surely not even in 1851) that a person could marry as young as 12!

Local mining history is always interesting, particularly as already much of where it was located is no longer easily (if at all) noticeable and is getting forgotten.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leodian wrote:I find it interesting that a girl aged 12 was said to be unmarried as also were the boys aged 11 and 15 (possibly also the lad aged 17). Perhaps it was a need of the census to state a person's married state even when as young as 12 or perhaps (but surely not even in 1851) that a person could marry as young as 12!
Different Times in those days Leo. In 1869 my 2x great grandmother Louisa Wedgeberrow was just 12 years of age when my grandfather Alfred was born in 1881. Some children were lucky to get to 12 years of age.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote:
Leodian wrote:I find it interesting that a girl aged 12 was said to be unmarried as also were the boys aged 11 and 15 (possibly also the lad aged 17). Perhaps it was a need of the census to state a person's married state even when as young as 12 or perhaps (but surely not even in 1851) that a person could marry as young as 12!
Different Times in those days Leo. In 1869 my 2x great grandmother Louisa Wedgeberrow was just 12 years of age when my grandfather Alfred was born in 1881. Some children were lucky to get to 12 years of age.
Hi buffaloskinner.

Yes very hard times indeed where to live to what might be called old age was probably uncommon. When I am in graveyards where there are old graves it is very sad to read that many children died very young. I wonder what age the widow lived to who was born in 1764 and was aged 87 in the 1851 census?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Just a quirky observation
The lady in the news re the Gatwick Airport
drone is known as
Mrs Kirk-gait.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 2 photos that I took on February 12 2019 looking into Pine Court from Kirkgate. I wonder if the gate was open awaiting a collection of the wheelie bins rubbish? It's sad to see this historical part of the area being so run down. Hopefully when (if!!!) the redevelopment of the area does get done then Pine Court can be retained as a good feature.
PineCourtOffKirkgateLeedsFeb122019(1)..jpg
PineCourtOffKirkgateLeedsFeb122019(1)..jpg (179.39 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
PineCourtOffKirkgateLeedsFeb122019(2)..jpg
PineCourtOffKirkgateLeedsFeb122019(2)..jpg (173.27 KiB) Viewed 4264 times